C5 estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lanciaman

C5 estate

Post by lanciaman »

Hi, newbie here. Have been running a 1998 Xantia td estate for 20 months and 24k miles. Fabulously reliable car, track rod end the only thing needing doing in that time, routine stuff aside. Almost at 150k miles now.
Anyway, thinking of getting a C5 estate. Some daft questions (ask me anything about Lancias I can answer!).

Anything in particular to look for? Is the 2.2 HDi any less reliable than the 2.0 110 HDi? What is the road tax for the 2.2 (£115 for the 2.0?).
Also, is the HPi petrol worth a look? 35mpg average or nearer 30?

Any info/advice more than welcome.
thanks
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There is a similar thread somewhere on here. 2.2 has dual mass flywheel (2 lumps of metal stuck together with rubber - and guess what still happens after all these years of sticking rubber to metal.)

HPi only made a fleeting appearance didn't it - did they sell any?
jeremy
ncoll
My Cars:

Post by ncoll »

Am I right in thinking the dual mass fly wheel is only fitted to a manual gearbox??
Current XM 2ltr Auto
Now gone C5 2.2 auto estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I think you could be pretty sure of that!
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Stick with the Xantia. At 150k miles it must be just about run in its no mileage at all. Well looked after it should be good for 300k +. Should last you another 10 years!

Rory
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

IMO stick with the xantia until something big falls off it :)

Routine maintence is the key so possibly look at getting the suspension spheres done if they have been on a while and flushing the LHM system as well and getting the cambelt done if it was done more than 3yrs ago.

Then look into using some SVO in the tank as it will help flush the fuelling system you will need to swap the fuel filter after about 1000miles or less so best done before a service. I run 95% SVO and 5% BP Ultimate Diesel in my 99 1.9td and it runs sweet as anything but ill probably move to adding 10% BPUD as the weather comes in for winter and possibly more if it gets too cold.