Bosch fuel pump info

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Bosch fuel pump info

Post by deian »

Hi all,

I'm wondering where i can get some good info on how the bosch (or general) diesel fuel pump works. I'm kind of getting into all this diesel stuff for their simplicity, and getting to understand that it's all down to the fuel pump (especially on my car).

So any tutorials or links would be great, especially about the tuning/tweaking side of things of the Bosch pump on my zx in particular (mechanical).

So my car has no ECU?? :shock:

Thanks
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Dei,

I'll do a quick and simple tutorial on diesel injection when I have a bit of time spare. It is one of my favourite subjects :wink: Petrol fuel injection is also a pet subject of mine as well..

I can't say much on the tuning side though because I've never played with that aspect but I'm sure MikeT and others who have experimented will soon come and give you all the gen needed.

Consider yourself lucky your car has no ECU :D But, having said that, it is quite interesting how the ECU works and controls the pump but what ultimately comes out of understanding the ECU functionality is that in general, it is really pretty pointless. The old mechanical pumps do a fine job, albeit with worse NOx emissions. One could say the prime function of the diesel ECU is to control an EGR valve :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

....or you could have a look on the internet. :)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I built up quite a list of pages in my favourites folder but the pc they're on is in storage for now.

If you look for relative threads on this forum you should find some great links and as already said, they were all sourced from the internet so when you've read all that, google for more :D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There is a good chapter on diesel injection in the "bible"...

http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/guide/guide.php

I tend to forget this publicatuion has other useful stuff besides hydraulics :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

If you haven't got all the info you want by the christmas holidays I can meet you with a bosch pump in pieces so you can see how it works.
I'm in cardiff til then though, but I will be spending a lot of time on anglesea over the holiday.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:If you haven't got all the info you want by the christmas holidays I can meet you with a bosch pump in pieces so you can see how it works.
That, Elma, I must say, is the only way of really appreciating how they work. Years back I read and re-read about them, looked at pictures and never fully "got it". As soon as I got my mitts on one and stripped it, all became clear :lol:

A picture may be worh a thousand words but one pump in bits is worth a thousand pictures...
Jim

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

deian

Post by deian »

Elma, I will take you up on that offer, it would be much appreciated.

I believe the pump sucks fuel out of the tank, and then releases the diesel in time because it is timed on the timing belt, but what happens inside and so on is a big mystery to me.

Thanks for the said linkss jim, and bxbodger, to be honest, I have searched google, not very hard though, but i have tried, peter how can i answer your answer... this is the internet :P

I have a pretty good idea about petrol engines, enough to attempt to put megasquirt on a car in the future. The bottom line is, everything needs to be timed on any engine.

I'll research those links now.

Thanks guys.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

no probs, I'll b in touch next time I'm home
deian

Post by deian »

pm me when you are closer by, we'll work something out. thanks elma
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »