Poor old 2.1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xf8u

Poor old 2.1

Post by xf8u »

It just goes from bad to worse with my car. Some of you may remember the problems I was having with my Xantia 2.1
I spent a whole day removing the pump so I could sent it off to a place for inspection/refurbishment. Three of rour days later I was informed that the pump is scrap.
How much bad luck can one have?
I can't find a second hand pump from a breakers for love nor money and a new one cost in excess of £700
This is the fourth Xantia I have owned, and the worse!

My advice to anyone out there is DO NOT buy a Xantia 2.1 as they are a complete waste of time
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Well if you want to give it a go, there was a van in the Northampton scrap yard with a bosch mechanical pump on it's 2.1TD engine.

Citrojim and I got a cam shaft and pump from a 1.9TD for £50 so I guess the pump would be around £30 if it's still there.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

There was a fella on ebay selling loads of 2.1td parts ie a full block and head, spare head, 2 turbos and 2 inlet maniolds and i think the full block and head had a pump on it but the auction finished a few days ago.

Heres an xm that the pump could be used from
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-XM-SD-2-1 ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-12V-2-0LT ... dZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=013
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

You should be able to find a mechanical pump from a 2.1 XM , have a look on ebay. They are not to difficult to fit, if yours is a CAV and the replacement is a Bosch, you will also need the injector pipes. There will be tappings on the plate for the different screw positions. If you fit a mechanical pump, I doubt if you will ever again have trouble.
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Re: Poor old 2.1

Post by neil123 »

"This is the fourth Xantia I have owned, and the worse!

My advice to anyone out there is DO NOT buy a Xantia 2.1 as they are a complete waste of time"

Well, that'll certainly help you move it on! ;-)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Poor old 2.1

Post by CitroJim »

neil123 wrote: Well, that'll certainly help you move it on! ;-)
Perhaps it'll cause 2.1s to be so unattractive that they'll become economical engine donors for us Activa owners who would love to transplant a 2.1TD in place of the brilliant but oh so thirsty petrol CT engine :lol:

It's an ill wind...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The 2.1 td is a brilliant engine, probably the best IDI engine ever made, at least it is in the XM. Most of them have mechanical fuel injection and the pumps last almost indefinatly. My previous XM had covered nearly 300k when I sold it, it was still mostly original, and still going!.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:The 2.1 td is a brilliant engine, probably the best IDI engine ever made, at least it is in the XM. Most of them have mechanical fuel injection and the pumps last almost indefinatly. My previous XM had covered nearly 300k when I sold it, it was still mostly original, and still going!.
I would totally agree Peter, the 2.1 is a tremendously good engine and my last post was very much tongue in cheek :wink:

Don't forget vans had the 2.1, often with mechanical Bosch pumps...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...