some one drove up my arse - insurance advice please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

graham593192

some one drove up my arse - insurance advice please

Post by graham593192 »

Hi guys
Your advice please.
Some woman drove into the back of me on friday night while I was stoped behind another car turning right from a main road. she has holed my bumper and bent the rear wing and boot pan. I think the tow bar took most of the blow. now the boot won't shut and the rear doow won't shut without me pushing it shut. None of the lights or boot lid seem to be damaged. [img]D:\Images\200709\200709A0[/img]

Been onto my insurance yesterday, they said its all her fault and can claim from her and they've sorted me a hire car and are takin mine away to assess the damage on tuesday.
I'm just wondering what the score is if they write it off. I'm pretty pissed of cos in the last month i've had 4 new michelin's put on (£200) a new battery (£50) and a handsfree carkit wired in (£130).
If they write it off will i just get what the car is worth (about £750 I reckon) or can I demand a similar car in similar or better condition with all the extras I had on my car including cd changer and towbar, or get them to pay to have them all transfered over?
My car has 118k on the clock and has passed every mot first go and runs like a dream.
I'm determined not to be screwed over because some woman wasn't looking where she was goin. I spent a lot of money on these extras for my car so its even more of a pleasure to be in it. I spend two hours a day in it so all these extras bit make a difference.
I don't want the insurance to just give me the £750 the cars insured for as that'll leave me with about £300 for the actual car if i'm going to pay to have my cd changer, handsfree kit, tow bar new tryes etc transfered or replaced on the new car.
[/img][img]D:\Images\200709\200709A0[/img]
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

Tried to attach picture but obliously didn't work!!

Will try again if any one can tell me how!!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

They'll make you an offer, probably too low, reject it and demand what a car in a similar condition would cost you to purchase.
Find some on Autotrader etc and send copies off as examples.
If they up their offer but not by enough to cover the wheels/battery, ask them for the amount they've offered plus the wheels and battery (afterall, your next car if you get the same, is likely to need them, or if not, you could ebay them)

You'll have to upload the image to another site like photobucket and then [img] link it to there.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Unfortunately, it does sound like a clear case of an uneconomic to repair
write off if the floorpan and rear wings are bent. If you go ahead with the
claim process through the insurers in my bitter experience two things
happen now:

1: they'll offer you about 300quid and you 'give up' ownership
2: you NEVER see the car again if you accept the money...

and you'll be asked to pay the scrap value to retain the car, and that's if
they offer that option any more.

Now if you want the value of the tyres, battery, multi changer, handsfree kit
etc etc to retain for your next Xantia you buy in the future you could actually
ask for the car back and not persue any claim. On the balance of things the
expensive value items added to the car are seen by the insurer assessor as
service items anyway and worth more to you than anything you'll be offered
by anyone's insurer.

May have been a slightly different scenario if you'd been in a 2yo car
where there is a strong market value outweighing the massive repair
costs, but sadly (luckily...) good Xantiae aren't silly money these days
and the insurance isn't worth the premium paid...

Andrew
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if there is no stuctual damage you can retain salvage rights, this way they will rcord the car as cat C which means if you then get the car repaired you will have to have a VIC test carried out beforeyou can re insure that car, they might also ask for an indpendant enginers report, with a VIC test all you will need to do once the car is fixed is get a new MOT then book the VIC test with the nearest centre which dose them to were you live, and yiou have to pay £36 at the time of booking, all they do is check the car is the same one it started out as
regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

It will likely be classed as a CAT C as the only way to really repair it cheaply is to pull it all out as the tow bar takes the brunt of the shunt into the boot floor which makes it a lot worse than it would have been if it had just hit the bumper :( in this case your towbar has really been at fault for writing the car off and i can safely say any xantia now matter how old or new would suffer the same fate.

The best thing to say to them is that you have some things in the car that you want and to then go to the salvage yard and remove everything you want from it when you are there and if they kick up a fuss just demand the car back :)

The VIC test isn't really going to do anything about the cars road worthiness but to just check its not a cut n shut or the like and that its the car in question :)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I would suggest - Contact the insurance onmbudsman if you're not happy with your/their insurers response, they can give you good advice.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I think you've tried to link to a location on your own PC for the picture. To post a picture on the forum it has to already be on the internet.

The easiest way to do this is to sign up to Photobucket. Once you've done this you go to "My Album" on Photobucket then click Browse. Select the picture from your PC that you want and click Upload. Once that's done the picture should appear in your album with links under it. If you pick the one with the IMG tags already in it you can paste it directly into a message on here and the picture should appear.

I'm not sure how well I've explained that but I imagine there will be instructions somewhere on the Photobucket site.

http://photobucket.com/
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
LOAC

rear ender

Post by LOAC »

That happened with my Xantia a while back. The thing to watch out for is damage to the hydraulic system. Even though the shunt was quite minor, two weeks after the accident the LHM pipes behind the engine block split and sprayed all over the exhaust manifold leading to huge amounts of smoke!

Of course, the damage assessment had already been done and it didn't cover it the cost of pipe repair as it was impossible to prove that the accident had definitely caused it.

LOAC
Xantia 2.0i Desire Auto 1998 77K miles- For sale

Synergie SX 1.9TD 2000
Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

I agree with Xac.

You can reject their offer twice. If you reject their 3rd offer you will then get into legal wrangling with them.

Keep talking up your car when you reject their offers. Have receipts, service book etc at the ready to back you up.

The good thing is it's all her fault therefore the cost of your hire car comes off her policy. If thats £60 a day, they will want to settle as quickly as they can.

Also while driving the hire car it gives you some time to source an even better veggie burning Xantia than the one you had.

Mange tout, Rodney!
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Tempt 2 Estate.
Had an M reg long ago as co. car & been curious about owning again ever since.
What have I done????
Bren
My Cars:

Post by Bren »

In 2003 I was rear ended on the way to work.My £120 Sierra was written off( the bodywork was superb but it had the awful 2.0 dohc complete with rattling timing chain - I had sorted this with £75 worth of parts - a shame). The recovery driver gave me the number of an accident management company, rather than going through my insurance. At first I was very sceptical of getting involved with these people, until the claims business was explained by one of their reps. You cant expect a generous payout if you have the same insurer as the other party - they have shareholders to keep happy and it just is'nt in their interests.To cut a long story short, I got a whopping £975 for the car(it was G reg!), £2000 for my injuries and a course of physio. My own insurer would'nt have been so generous. As you have already decided to go through your own insurance this is'nt all that relavant, but it may be something to think about if you are unfortunate enough to experience this again.
96'Xantia 1.9 td estate
93'gsxr- 750
85' Rover 3500 (work in progress)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Bren wrote:My £120 Sierra was written off..<snip>... I got a whopping £975 for the car(it was G reg!), £2000 for my injuries and a course of physio.
:shock: How come?
graham593192

Post by graham593192 »

Well my hire car arrived today. Its a top of the range modeo diesel with all the toys. I accepted it as I need to get around but then got onto my insurance saying it wasn't good enough as I need a tow bar for work. They said I couldn't have one but I argued that why should I be inconvenienced due to someone elses incompetent driving etc and now they're sorting me one with a tow bar. I'm expecting a discovery or something as i've never seen any other hire cars with tow bars!! This won't be cheap.
Its also been recorded with the insurance that my passanger and my self have both bee suffering back pains since the accident.

Talking to a collegue at work today. Acouple of years ago a tree fell and crushed his 10 year old 3 series BMW. The insurance tried to write it off and offered him money for another. He demanded they found him another one exactly the same with all the factory fitted extras he had fitted when the car was new. They found him one but it was in Perth, scotland. He said he would only accept it if they delivered it to his house in Southampton. In the end they backed down and had his repaired and fully resprayed by BMW due to the fuss he kick up with them.

If they write mine off I fully intend to try and claim back the cost of having my handsfree kit and cd changer etc transfered and a towbar. I still have my old battery so I'll be swapping that back before they take it!! It may start it once to get it on the tow truck!!
LOAC

hire car

Post by LOAC »

The thing you have to watch out for is that the cost of having the hire car must not exceed the replacement value of your car.

LOAC
Xantia 2.0i Desire Auto 1998 77K miles- For sale

Synergie SX 1.9TD 2000
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Id be taking all those bits off now really and keeping them hidden away as once the car disapears on the back of a truck things start to walk off cars :(