xantia overheating???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

xantia overheating???

Post by admiral51 »

hi
ive got a 1.9d lx 1996+A/C and this morning the stop light and temp guage warning lamp lit after about 20mins driving and the fans kicked in full speed.
switched engine off and restarted nothing wrong drove for 30 secs and stop/temp lights lit fans on for about 2-3 secs 3 times then good as gold :?
checked water/oil levels fine rad is hot top and bottom as are all hoses no trace of oil in water or vice versa
assume bitron is ok as its doing the job when temp lamp lit
could it be sensor/wires on top of thermostat housing giving faulty reading must admit road was a bit bumpy (most roads here are :lol: ) and the wires from sensor have been crimped(before i got car i hasten to add)
i have read somewhere on here about this fault but cant find it :oops: :oops:
all opions gladly accepted just please dont tell me the HG is iffy i just got the thing uptogher and looking good :cry:

cheers
colin
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

That’s the common overheat indication for no reason.
The brown sensor on the thermostat housing operates the cooling fans, and the sensor plug or wire goes intermittent.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

What does the temperature gauge read, if its normal its an electrical fault as cloggz says. My XM somtimes shouts 'overheating, slow down' when I have just started! Head gasket failure doesn't cause overheating in itself, its only when it jettisons all the water. If it overheats when you are pushing it hard, the chances are that it needs a new radiator. That and the thermostat are responsible for about 99% of overheating problems.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Colin, I had the same problem and it seems just removing and cleaning the sensor connection cured the fault so I would first suspect the connector and then those crimpred connections.
jamieclayton9

Post by jamieclayton9 »

I had the same problem with my xsara. Took the clip of and cleaned it, chuck on a little bit of wd and it was all sorted. Cheers. Jamie
1998 1.9td xsara exclusive
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

thanks one and all
took sensor plug off and checked the crimped wires all seemed ok.put plug back on and drove for 100miles (SWMBO wanted to go for a drive :( ) and nothing sat at 80 degrees as normal stop start traffic up to about 90 and fans kicked in back down to 80 :)

the phantom overheat i knew i read about it somewhere :oops: :oops:

peter the gauge was saying about 70 degrees when everything went haywire so looks like i may be lucky and now i can tell SWMBO why i was a little quiet on the drive :D :D

thanks again

colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Colin, that is good news :D

Citroen electrics strike again :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

jim,to be honest i was getting a little bit twitchy seems little problems have been occuring ever since it passed the mot

put it in for test 1 week before it ran out passed no problems day it would have ran out i had the leak off pipe on number 4 injector spray fuel every where and when i got back from buying replacement (yes i did the lot :) ) i found i had a nail in outer edge of a brand new tyre

think the old gal my have been getting her own back for going to test early :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and to think im looking at getting another one ...im keeping an eye out for the men in white coats with the jacket that fastens at the back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

colin
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Colin, all sounds perfectly normal to me. But then, I'm bonkers too... :P

There's some intangible quality about Citroens, that is totally endearing
and addictive!! Do you recon many other marque's owners write for
hours about their cars with passion, enthusiasm and genuine interest?

So, I agree, nothing moves you like a Citroen, IS a true tagline.
Or is it, nothing quite screws you up like a Citroen? ;)

Andrew
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, all perfectly normal :lol:

Andrew, you've hit the nail right on the head there :D (no pun intended Colin :lol: )

I AM bonkers, cerified so in fact :roll: :lol: :P
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

just a quick and confusing update :oops: :oops:

took car out this evening for a trip to Q+B it (more B%^&$Y painting) its only a 10 min trip and when i got there and switched car off i heard the fans running/stopping but hadnt noticed temp gauge :oops:

on way back gauge no higher than 70-75 which is lower than normal and when switching off fans were again running on slow speed could hear them stopping

not had chance to check levels as its a tad dark now but did make sure A/C switch was off any ideas :? :?

SWMBO tells me its been like it all day(fan stopping noise) :evil:

why dont she tell me things :( :( :(

colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Colin,

That is SWMBOs all over :lol: Mine once told me the heater stopped working in a Chavalier :oops: we once owned. It had stopped working because there was no water in it :twisted: (I rarely drove the car so never knew..) The water pump had failed spectacularly and dumped all the coolant :roll:

Anyway your fans running may be something very normal. If she had the heater in demist position the A/C will cycle on an off independantly of the main A/C switch as part of the normal operation of the demist function.

It actually is a boon as dry, airconditioned air in the demist mode clears the screen in a jiffy. It does it with such subtlety, the only clue is the cooling fans running... The A/C master switch light does not come on when it is in operation in demist, adding to the confusion perhaps.
Jim

admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

thanks jim i thought my SWMBO was a one off....maybe just a one off the production line :lol: :lol:

my A/C has no gas so refuses to work although everything else in the A/C sequence does ie blower on switch on and fans run at slow speed so will check tomorrow what position heater controls set at but knowing SWMBO she likes a cool draught :) :) she seems to be a bit icy when provoked :D :D

cheers colin
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

A faulty air conditioning pressure sensor switch may also cause it, so disconnecting that will make the difference.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389