HDi Cooking oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mooseshaver
My Cars:

Post by mooseshaver »

howiedean wrote:
citroenbx wrote: The seems to be loads of places producing biodiesel in the North West.
I've not noticed any yet. All we seemt to have around here is Normal and Expenisve Diesel. Where in teh North West do you mean? Cumbria?
C5 III Tourer 2.0 HDi 163 Auto Exclusive
Gone cars.
C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive Estate auto 57. Awesome car. Sadly Could not be fixed by Citroen.
C5 1.6 HDi VTR Estate 56. Traded in.
C5 2.2 HDi SX Estate 02. Drowned in the floods of 09.
C3 1.4 HDi 92 SX 52.
Saxo 1.1 East Coast.
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

There are at least two different methods of producing Bio-diesel. One requires additives which rot all rubber seals etc, the other does not.
See http://www.bio-power.co.uk/index.htm for more information on this. The one they advocate is the safer type. The one which is more commercially available is the less safe type. They also have a list of suppliers if you look.
This is one of the reasons for all the hype about not using Bio-diesel in certain engines.
In the HDIs, the problem is more one of viscosity, and the extremely high pressures in the fuelling system (up to 1300 Bar).
Brian.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

There is only ONE way to make BIO DIESEL and that is by chemical reaction. Ususally by adding an alcohol and an alkeli such as methanol and sodium hydroxide. Which gives bio diesel and a glycerine byproduct. The biodiesel produced by this method is almost chemically the same as the stuff that shell, bp etc make minus the winteriser.

Anything else is biofuel and NOT suitable for anything that isnt mechanical injection.

A HDI running on bio fuel from BIo power as mentioned by brian will fail, ive seen a few. The reasons being Bio power use vegetable oil and thinners such as acetone. HDI fuel tank pumps cant handle viscous fluid ie vegoil and will break. Also the way the fuel is atomised into the cylinder causes veg oil to get past the oil seal and polyermerise and sieze the engine. AS for biodiesel ruining seals, as long as you have a modern car it wont as most modern fuel pipes are vitron which is chemical resistant unlike the rubberised piping that used to be used (and often sold now as replacement fuel line in some parts shops).

IF you have a HDI and want to run eco fuels, there is only 2 things you can do. 1) get proper bio diesel (eg FAME or RME) and run it on that. or
2) Get you car twin tanked by someone like http://www.smartveg.com/.

ANything else will mess your car up.

I foregot the only reason you cant use biodiesel in some really modern cars is the diesel particular filter. FOr instance the PSA range of cars fitted with FAP cant only take biodiesel at a 30% as anymore and the exhust blocks up due to the technological fiddle they uses burnin the soot off. VW's fitted with their particulate filters in the exhuast cant run on any bio due to the different method of recharging its filter. But if you remove the filter then everything is fine.
406 lx 1.9td estate
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

mooseshaver wrote:
howiedean wrote:
citroenbx wrote: The seems to be loads of places producing biodiesel in the North West.
I've not noticed any yet. All we seemt to have around here is Normal and Expenisve Diesel. Where in teh North West do you mean? Cumbria?
Not many in Cumbria I'm afraid, have a look here:

http://www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk/region07.htm

Regards
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

There's none in Lincolnshire at all according to that :(

They used to list some Rix stations selling 5% biodiesel blend, but I presume they consider 5% blend isn't really worth bothering to mention anymore!
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I didnt realise biodiesel was that expensive to buy from outlets, still, at least its cheaper than what diesel is at the moment.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

nick wrote:There's none in Lincolnshire at all according to that :(

They used to list some Rix stations selling 5% biodiesel blend, but I presume they consider 5% blend isn't really worth bothering to mention anymore!
I know, I've brought back 110 litres (74 ppl) of biodiesel from Rochdale this weekend. The closest to us in Lincolnshire is a place in sheffield. :cry:
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

caveman_si wrote:...veg oil to get past the oil seal and polyermerise and sieze the engine.
Is it specific to HDI's or all diesel injection engines?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

howiedean wrote:I know, I've brought back 110 litres (74 ppl) of biodiesel from Rochdale this weekend. The closest to us in Lincolnshire is a place in sheffield. :cry:
I notice there's one in Driffield but their website isn't working at the moment.
I work near Hull, but Driffield is still quite a drive even from there when the roads are busy.
den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

Who's using biodiesel in a hdi and for how long.
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

caveman_si wrote:HDI fuel tank pumps cant handle viscous fluid ie vegoil and will break. Also the way the fuel is atomised into the cylinder causes veg oil to get past the oil seal and polyermerise and sieze the engine.
I thought it was the HP pump which could not handle the more viscous fuel. When it is working at 1300BAR a little extra viscosity makes a huge difference.

Can you explain the last bit, what oil seal?
Brian.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Brian UK wrote:
caveman_si wrote:HDI fuel tank pumps cant handle viscous fluid ie vegoil and will break. Also the way the fuel is atomised into the cylinder causes veg oil to get past the oil seal and polyermerise and sieze the engine.
I thought it was the HP pump which could not handle the more viscous fuel. When it is working at 1300BAR a little extra viscosity makes a huge difference.

Can you explain the last bit, what oil seal?
Piston rings
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool