Help Please

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fridgedoc
My Cars:

Help Please

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi All

I have a Xantia sx so I have been told by you nice people on here, it is LHD. I have just bought a sx (SEE FOR SALE SECTION) which failed the Mot due to faulty N/S/F abs sensor, I am breaking this car.

My question is my car does not have spots fitted but the breaker does, is it just a case of cutting out the holes for the spots and fitting them ie the fixings are there and the wiring loom with the cables are there or will I have to make the fittings and fit new wiring.

I am asking this before I start to pull my car apart.

Thanks for your assistance
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1994 (deceased)
LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Help Please

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi

Yet another question I am looking to change the radio in my Xantia for the radio in the Xantia I am breaking which also has the controls on the steering wheel I do not foresee any problem in changing the radio but how much of an issue is there in fitting the wiring from the steering wheel to the radio, I will fit the steering wheel anyway as mine is in poor condition I do not see a problem with that, famous last words.

Any assistance would help

Thanks
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Stephen,

The wiring for the fogs may be there - you'll need to look and find out. More difficult is the switching end - the breaker will probably have the fogs switched on the column stalk - you'll need to swap this over, but whether the wires will be there to operate the fogs I don't know.

The steering wheel change should be OK....but, not sure what your question is - does your Xantia not have steering wheel radio controls? It should.... These are operated by a small PCB in the wheel, and a small ribbon connector. The cabling to the radio should be there. Or have you got some real poverty spec LHD motor... :twisted: :?:
Richard W
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

hi stephen
1. the wiring loom for the fogs is run inside the bumper and its socket is located n/s by the horn braket think plug is coloured green :?
double check its there before you go cutting out blanks for fogs as they fit into a pre moulded section of the bumper best to take both bumpers off and have a look as my xantia is the lx without fogs and the bumper has no pop out panels for fog lights and no wiring loom either

2. AFAIK the radios will swop and work with the steering whell if from same mark of xantia and the wires for the steering controls are just a plug type but i could be wrong :lol:

colin
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your replies.

I am guessing my car is an SX but that is not 100% some of the guys on this forum kindly suggested it was after I explained that it had air-con factory fitted and electric windows on the front only, the car is LHD French registered and the Carte Grise (French Log Book) states Citroen Xantia and that's it, no other model ID. the same on the boot just Citroen Xantia.

My car has a Blaupunkt radio fitted with a large flap that covers it when not in use and NO controls on the steering wheel the breaker has a Citroen 3030 RDS radio with controls on the S/wheel, I guess I can just change the radio and with a little wiring alteration will work OK what I would like is the steering wheel as well which is in much better condition than mine the bonus would be if the controls on the s/wheel worked as well.

Re: the fog lights, on my car there are markings in the plastic on the bumper but no pop outs, the markings match the lamps so it would not be to bad to cut out carefully, whether there is the plastic fittings for the lamps to clip to or the wiring loom for them I do not know, the switch for the fog lights on the breaker is situated to the right on the dash I can remove the switch and if there is a plug behind the removable plastic cover on my car great if not I do not think I should have to much of a problem running cables for this, my concern is cutting out the holes and finding no way to hold the lamps in place.

Please understand I know common sense says take the bumper off and have a look see which would not have been a problem before I contracted a virus which has left me registered disabled, but I do have a smiley face :D and my brain works (it does sometimes) :lol:

What I am hoping for is someone has done this before so I do not have to strip my car down and then have to put all back together again with a zero result.

Thanks for reading my (Almost) life history.

And thanks for your assistance
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

hi stephen
i did try the fog lights from a breaker when i had it here but although citroen site said my car had the correct wiring loom when i checked i found the wiring loom was not present (had to get underneath to check)

the fog light switch is on the indicator stalk on mine thought thats where they were on all xantias

may be best to get a mate to check underneath for you to check if the plug is present on your car before you go to far with this

as per popouts the fogs on a mark11 prefacelift are held in place by the outer springs on the fogs not sure if you will have bolt holes for the fogs on a facelift model :?

colin
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

110 people have read my posts there must be someone who can help.

Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Stephen,

Please don't take this the wrong way, but most of us only really know UK spec cars (hence the SX derivation). Worldwide markets get completely differing spec cars to us in the UK - it is highly possible that a base-spec car in France might not get the steering wheel controls that we take for granted over here - plus "our" generic RHD wiring loom may well always contain the wiring for the fog lights, even if they're not fitted.

Sadly we're used to get very high specification Citroens over here..
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hi Stephen

The car you have actually sounds like an equivalent spec car to the UK
LX derivative = manual back windows and NO front fog lights would make
this highly likely. Does it have ABS? The fact it has air conditioning is likely
because it's essential in France where it can get a tad bit warm the further
South you get!?

I'm actually surprised the other UK car you've got is being scrapped, as
this sounds like a higher spec SX and from what you've posted, needs ONE
ABS sensor to pass an MOT? Is it essential the car you run needs to be
LHD?

The base model front bumper will not be appropriate for the SX fog lights
to be retro fitted if you cut the molded piece out as there will be nothing
left in the back of the bumper and the sides of the cut out to support the
foglight. I've seen someone try fitting one on such a bumper in the past
with dismal unsightly results.

THAT SAID, i'VE ALSO SEEN AN ALTERNATIVE OPTION! I've just broken
an early Xantia model LX which had a genuine Citroen ACCESSOIRE fog
light that is shaped and lipped to account for the cut out shape on the
basic bumper. The wiring isn't too difficult to create either as the new
loom runs up to the main engine bay fusebox/earth and power supply
unit beside the battery - I know as I unpicked the whole front end!!

Getting another correctly molded fog light bumper to work would actually
be better to do if a little more complicated and time consuming - it'd be
worth it if that's what you want.

TBH, I NEVER use mine on the VSX and actually resent oncoming traffic
that uses them ALL THE TIME blinding me and my eyesight is pretty good
still..

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Over here our ways fog ligts are called "fu***ng" lights -
Both by police and decent mature drivers -

For the reasons depicted by Andrew 8)

- and we get fined deerly when caught by PLODs

For the reasons depicted by Andrew 8)
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi All

Thank you all for your input, especially Andrew, who unknowingly gave me the answer (I think) Can I just not swop the bumpers complete!!!!!!

I guess removing the bumper should not be to difficult, is there anything I should know?

The wiring will not be a problem just need to fit a 12v relay and Bob's your uncle (well Micheal is really).

If only the SX was LHD it runs well has a sun roof, all electric windows, seats in better condition, nice radio, s/wheel controls etc. but I have to have a LHD as we are moving to France soon, and driving around the country lanes at night in a mist is no fun hence the fog lights and very few if any other drivers, I feel the same as you guys B***DY fog lights!!!!!
even cars fitted with the new blue head lights are a pain.

Anyone have any thoughts on the radio/ s/wheel is the wiring from the wheel to the radio one complete loom or is it part of another loom?

I do fully understand that without seeing the car and the wiring no one can be 100% sure, I was a Refrigeration & Air-Con engineer before my illness and I have worked on many vehicles and Fridge kit only to find the wiring and the wiring diagram differ, I am just looking for pointers.

Phil I never take offence at criticism as long as it is constructive and yours was, if I knew all the answers I would not be asking the questions, thanks.

I am sure there will be other questions so thank you for your patience.

Thanks to you all and if anyone has a Air-Con problem just ask, I am no genius as I mainly worked on office type A/C but have solved a lot of problems that Main Dealers could not solve.
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Stephen, having followed this thread with interest, I have to admit that I am confused. (OK this is not difficult).
You have a LHD one which you intend to keep? Is this the one which failed the MOT, or is that the RHD one which you are breaking.
What in this case then, is actually wrong with the LHD model?
If, as I now suspect, the RHD one you are breaking , has fog lights, and steering wheel controls for the radio, but the French one does not, then you may have problems in adding the appropriate wiring harnesses.
As far as the front bumper is concerned, yes just swap them over assuming the donor one is in good condition.

Did you buy the LHD one in France at their inflated S/H prices, or did you manage to find it in the UK? (Iwill be doing the same as you sometime, but to NE Mayenne, not as far as Poitiers).
Brian.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Stephen, wouldn't it be worth checking which ISO wiring blocks are
connected to the radio you have fitted on your LHD car first - there are
three of them for the 4030 and 3030. The loom running across to the radio
from the main column mounting may indeed be fitted in situ on all models
as it'd be more expensive to have multiple unique assemblies even though
the additional unused wiring may cost a few pennies in manufacturing costs.
It'd be worth checking for the fine ribbon that runs up to the rear of the
steering wheel mount on the steering column.

It would be vastly quicker and easier to exchange the whole steering column
assembly in one go between the two cars by undoing the 4 mounting bolts
onto the dash and the one pinch bolt on the steering swivel at the joint on
the floor of the footwell - all you need look out for are the correct
corresponding wiring loom connections.

All the best, Andrew
fridgedoc
My Cars:

Post by fridgedoc »

Hi Brian

My Xantia is the LHD the RHD is the breaker.

I bought the LHD in the UK a guy had moved back to the UK as he and his wife felt lonely after spending 2 / 3 years renovating a derelict house sad but true, each to their own.

I did not know anything about Citroen's then I found this super forum and discovered I had a problem with the suspension so first job was changing the accumulator sphere which made an improvement so then changed the front sphere's then the backs (without the assistance of you guys what a mess I would have made of it) the only one I have not changed is the one in the middle back, I think that will need changing soon as well as the fluid

The reason for breaking the RHD is to tidy and tart up my Citroen as well as getting a few spares as I am hoping to keep it for quite a few years and being in France will be the ideal car, hoping the radio will fit OK plus the controls on the steering wheel, after reading Andrew's post looks like changing the whole column will be the way to go, the bumpers are in the same condition so it looks like a bumper change should be straight forward if you have any pointers please tell.

I even thought about fitting the sunroof but then I put my sensible head on, so that will not happen

Do you think the prices in France are inflated? I would agree the prices on S/H cars are higher in than the UK, I feel the reason is they do not have pools of cars coming on the market from major companies changing their reps cars every two to three years so there is not so many cars available which keeps the S/H prices high.

Andrew you are a star, things are so simple when you know how, never thought about changing the steering column sounds so straight forward will take a look at the loom and let you know.

Many thanks
Bonne Chance

Stephen

LHD Xantia 1995 Berline
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I agree with andmcit... try to keep the RHD model.

I (we really) run 2 RHD Xantia estates in France since God ws a boy, and IF you subscribe for a motorway badge, the RHD problem virtually disappears. In addition NO ONE will nick it.
If only the SX was LHD it runs well has a sun roof, all electric windows, seats in better condition, nice radio, s/wheel controls etc. but I have to have a LHD as we are moving to France soon, and driving around the country lanes at night in a mist is no fun hence the fog lights and very few if any other drivers, I feel the same as you guys B***DY fog lights!!!!!
even cars fitted with the new blue head lights are a pain.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj