Bench Testing a Diesel Pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Bench Testing a Diesel Pump

Post by CitroJim »

Last weekend Xac and I rescued a diesel pump from a scrap 406. It looked OK but the fuel line was missing from it and I was a bit concerned if any water had got into it. Before fitting it to TehAgent's car (to replace the temporary mechanical pump I fitted) I wanted to know if the pump was basically functional.

I also wanted to know if TehAgent's old leaky pump still worked after I had pulled it to bits and reassembled it. It was the first time I'd had a Bosch pump in bits.

I set up a very crude test rig consisting of a fuel header tank (a funnel actually) and a fuel return catch tank (a small glass jar). I did not have any pukka diesel test oil and did not, for obvious safety reasons, want to use real diesel so I chose to use vegetable oil.

I set the pump up with its test fuel lines and a battery nearby to energise the stop solenoid.

I filled the funnel and gently squeezed the pipe to persuade the pump to fill with oil. An old priming bulb would be useful here but eventually the pump will fill. Then swing the pump over in a clockwise direction using a ratchet. Swing it until oil appears in the return line. Engergise the stop solenoid and swing again. Observe nice jets squirting from the injector outlets and oil running down the return line into the catch jar :D

Both pumps work fine but TehAgent's still leaks :( Not surprising really as I have not replaced the gasket nor torqued up the head bolts very tightly.

The other pump leaked nowhere on the test so I'm relatively confident that the admittedly crude test is good enough to find bad leaks and prove basic functionality. Obviously it will not test the advance servo but at least I'm reasonably confident that I can fit the pump and it'll stand a chance of it working. Also, any muck in it will have been flushed through.

That is my test rig. Please don't laugh at it :roll:

Perhaps a useful test for a pump of unknown provenance that has been rescued from a scrapyard.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Thanks Jim -

Another submission from you proving that some brains brings complexity down to simplicity 8)
This is the spirit of true home engineering :D
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Did you connect the injectors to the HP outlets? The fact that you get fuel out of the HP side is no guarantee of sufficient pressure if there is wear in the internal pistons.
Brian.