Xantia Towbar Wiring....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

josamolly

Xantia Towbar Wiring....

Post by josamolly »

Have now fitted the towbar and all looks well... so now i come to wire it up.. Having only ever wired a plug before i'm not sure where to start.

Have located the hole that i need to come thru into the boot so i assume i need to run the cable to the rear light cluster ( not the one in the boot)...

Am i right in assuming i only need to break into the indicator and side/brake lights:?. And make sure the earth is wired?. There is a blue plug there with 4 pins, numbered 1-4..but 6 wires coming out... how do i know what is what?

Or, do i also need, somehow, to get into the loom in the bootlid.

I know i know, stupid questions but hey i managed to get this far!!...

thanks in advance once again for your invaluable help.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There are 7 wires in the black 12N plug, all need wiring in, I can't remember the colours:

Earth, stop, fog, rh indicator, LH indicator, LH tail, RH tail.

You might be able to pick up the RH lights at the LH cluster, depending on if all the cable comes to one side first (can't remember on the Xantia). The tricky one is the fog lights. I have chased a wire all the way back into the C pillar, but ISTR reading that there is a plug behind the OS trim panel that can be used for the fog lights. You also (technically...!) need to wire in an audible indicator warning - kits readily available from towing shops.
Richard W
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I ran my wires through a blanking plug under the offside rear light cluster. If you reach down into the bowels of that cavity you'll find it near the bottom on the inboard side. I cable tied an old inner tube around the cable where it went through but a gromet would obviously be better.

I led two wires across the boot floor under the protective strip at the back. It should be possible to do this without pinching the wire. they were for the N/S indicator and tail light. I could have connected both tail light wires on the O/S but I chose not to.

It would be nice to think you could pick up all the wires at that blue plug but you can't. I don't know what it's for but it isn't that. You just need to use a test lamp or meter to work out which is which. I managed to find all the wires, including the fog and reversing lamps, without straying too far from that corner. I used Scotchlok connectors to break into the wires.

If you are planning to fit a 12S (grey or white) socket I have a handy tip but I won't confuse matters with it just now.

To do the job you really need an assistant (at least for the brakes but preferably for the whole job) and a known good light board.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Are you guys always using the foglights connection on the socket ?

I find it a lot more useable to wire the reversing lights through here, but then again I dont have a camper. I always tow various goods trailers (un-braked max 550kg Total).

Not yet seen the "second" outlet socket over here, but quite a few owners are using the later standard 13pole socket.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

The 13 pin socket is now, or is becoming, the standard.

The second (12S) socket is only really used for caravans. It is mostly used to run the fridge and recharge the battery in the caravan. The reversing light is also wired through this socket. I think caravans and large trailers are required to have foglights so we don't have the choice of using the foglight connection for reversing lights.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

You may be able to buy a pre-wired lighting socket dedicated to Citroens - which simply plugs in to the nearside rear light cluster. This is fine - unless someone has replaced the socket. The correct socket has a switch to turn off the car rear foglight when the trailer is connected (To prevent glare off the front of a white caravan?) The chances are that the replacement socket won't switch - and so the car foglights cease to work. Many happy hours have been spent trying to trace this 'fault'.
jeremy