Blank Cheque

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wigelywoo
My Cars:

Blank Cheque

Post by wigelywoo »

I've just had my Eolys fluid topped up, c5 2.2, because the computer flashed up "Diesel Addative Minimum Level".
This was done at main dealers,now they tell me their diagnostics show I have a wiring fault, at or near the tank.
The pump in the Eolys tank can be heard running when I switch off the engine.
But, if I switch the ignition off, then back to accessories, the pump stops and if I leave the ignition in this position for 30 seconds I can then switch off without the Eolys pump running.
Before I hand the dealer a Blank Cheque, to find the fault , I would like to ask on here for ideas.
Hoping someone can help.
Thanks.
There are two secrets to success
1. never reveal all you know
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just to show that you are not being ignored, obviously not to many people on here with C5s. If it was an xm....
frenchcarnut

Re: Blank Cheque

Post by frenchcarnut »

wigelywoo wrote:I've just had my Eolys fluid topped up, c5 2.2, because the computer flashed up "Diesel Addative Minimum Level".
This was done at main dealers,now they tell me their diagnostics show I have a wiring fault, at or near the tank.
But, if I switch the ignition off, then back to accessories, the pump stops and if I leave the ignition in this position for 30 seconds I can then switch off without the Eolys pump running.
Before I hand the dealer a Blank Cheque, to find the fault , I would like to ask on here for ideas.
Hoping someone can help.
Thanks.
What year is that? I've just had my "antipollution" warning sign and engine service request go out after a long run. Before that I was told it needed diagnostics.

Seems to me that to most Citroen dealers it's a matter of guess work.
wigelywoo
My Cars:

Post by wigelywoo »

Feb 02
I can't be the only one that this has happened to in 5 years, surely.
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Don't have a C5, but do have a 307 HDI which uses the Eolys fluid.
I have heard of occasional problems with those pumps. Problem is that if it really is the additive pump runnin, then it is supplying too much additive to the fuel. That pump should only run after filling the fuel tank with more than 5 litres of diesel. It then runs for a short time to put the correct amount of additive into the fuel. It should not run at any other time. Are you absolutely sure it is this pump which is running on, and not the fuel lift pump in the tank?
Brian.
wigelywoo
My Cars:

Post by wigelywoo »

From underneath the car it sounds like it's coming from the eolys tank.
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

If it is then you ought to check it out properly.
You will be getting through a lot of the fluid additive, and at £95 for 4.5 litres........... Added to which it could well actually clog up the exhaust filter.
Which blank check do you want to use, the one to have the fault rectified, or the one for the replacement filter, and fluid, plus rectifying the fault later.
Worth having a look for chafed wires though.
Brian.
wigelywoo
My Cars:

Post by wigelywoo »

Just had Eolys topped up again
After last time when the Eolys pump kept running on, the car went back to main dealer about 5 times without success.
the problem then stopped by itself.
Had no problems since until I got the warnig Diesel Addative Low.
Took car to a Citroen service centre, not main dealer, had Eolys topped up and now we are back to square one with the pump running on when I switch off engine, only method of stopping this is to turn key to accesories for 30 secs.

Any ideas?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Where are you?
Perhaps one of our Lexia owners would read any stored fault codes for you which may point to the problem.

It may be that the car thinks you have just filled the tank when you turn on the ignition and squirts a load of EOLYS into the diesel.
As said above, a very expensive fault. Possibly and ECU failure.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Is it possible that when you run out of Eolys, the computer (stupidly) keeps count of how much should have been added, then tries to add it all in one go when you top up again?
wigelywoo
My Cars:

Post by wigelywoo »

Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Your closest Lexia owner is SteelCityUK in Sheffield, you might PM him (click the link- his username) and PM him to enquire.

There is also a Citroen Rally next weekend in Wetherby, there may be an opportunity there too if you can make it.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Blank Cheque

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Just 2 quick questions. Why does a diesel engine need an additive?. My 1.9 TD runs quite happily without it. And why is it ever £90+ per gallon ?
Who is taking who for a ride. :shock:
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
cachaciero
My Cars:

Post by cachaciero »

wigelywoo wrote:I've just had my Eolys fluid topped up, c5 2.2, because the computer flashed up "Diesel Addative Minimum Level".

Thanks.
That sounds like a very specific diagnostic I would like to know precisely on what basis they believe it to be a wiring fault? which diagnostic equipment was he using?. If it's a lexia it won't say 'wiring fault' but some indicated failure MIGHT make the man believe that he has a wiring fault. In short how certain is he of his diagnosis ?

Now given that eolys tank which contains the pump is very close to the fuel tank which has a lift pump are you sure that it is the eolys pump you are hearing?. Mind given the rate at which you are going through fluid it probably is BUT for eolys to get into the fuel tank it needs both that the pump is running AND the injector in the fuel tank to be energised

Question when the ignition is switched off does the pump run 'forever' or only for a few minutes?. The reason for asking is that there are some failure scenarios where the system will always inject an amount of additive based upon the amount required for a full tank of fuel I imagine that may equate to a minute or two or three of pump run time.

cachaciero
2006 Toyota Prius T Spirit
2001 2.2 C5 Exclusive SE
1996 XM 2.1 TD Auto VSX
1995 XM 2.1 TD Auto SX died @ 140K
1987 CX 2.5 Gti Turbo II dead
1984 Ford Scorpio
1981 CX 2.4 Pallas Auto
Renault 21
1220 GS Club
Rover P6 2000TC
vince
My Cars:

Post by vince »

Hoping someone can help.
Thanks.
Firstly unless the car is under warranty im sorry but i wouldnt go to the dealers....the cost would be astronomical i fear.

You seem to have a temporary work around using your methods so that will buy you some time :wink:

I personally dont know the answer but i do have access to a Citroen dealer master technician via work at no cost. I will email this info to work and speak to him tomorrow to see if i can learn anything useful for you and post back up once i get any info :wink:
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...