height corrector

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

davethewheel wrote:i wouldn't mind having a go at serving the existing one as i'm sure it's probably just blocked up with crud, can anyone explain how to do this and are there any parts available that i will need :D
As mentioned above you dont need any parts for a HC overhaul.
The job is very much like overhauling a carburettor : several small and delicate bits of which location and orientation must be closely observed.

Start job by a good external cleaning using a stiff brush with engine cleaner (or petrol).
You will soon discover that both rubber prtector caps are easy to remove. Leave the ball hook on the protruding axle. Its a swine to remove and the protector cap folds over nicely anyway.

Now the end membranes are revealed. Make a scratch mark on HC body to identfy the ballhook end :idea:
Carefully by working all around the circumference prise off the retainer rings from the rubber membranes
Then remove the exposed nut and washer and dismantle further from here, taking extreme care of the thin steel dishes - and note how everything fits.
When ready - pull away the piston axle by the ballhook.
If it binds then turn it side to side while pulling - using gentle violence.

The ballhook ended piston rod may be pitted at ends near the housing ends - making the piston stick in the bore. This is of no big concern as there is no sealing valve functon here. Only a surface helping the piston to slide squarely and precisely.
However if the piston rod is pitted at the middle section where the sealing valve function exist - you dont need go any further. Discard this HC !

Clean everything using cleaner/petrol then wipe/blow it dry and IMMEDIATELY immerse parts in a jar wth clean LHM.
If not - the parts wil start staining rather fast. (not the HC alu housing though)

With extreme care rub down any pitting on the end(s) of the piston rod to make it slide nicely (wet) in the bore.
There is a tiny special cap in an off center bore in the HC housing. The cap can be removed using a bolt matching the bore diameter and hacksawing a slit in the bolt end. This will reveal a bunch of tiny micro bore dishes with distance spacers that also needs cleaning.

Re-assembly is a rever...

The rubber protectors, membranes and membrane steel retainer rings are the only bits available as spares for the HC - all models.
The HC itself w/o the bracket etc. is available as spare for the BX.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Anders
dont forget the circlip on the piston rod which will stop you removing the rod, and the retaining rings are aluminium not steel, so be very gentle whilst prizing them off
regards malcolm
bernie
My Cars:

Re: height corrector

Post by bernie »

davethewheel wrote:i'm having problems with my rear height corrector on my xantia 2.1td estate, it has a new plastic link fitted and the linkage is free but sometimes it just refuses to go up or down, i had an embarrassing moment when getting the rear tyres replaced ,the fitter asked me to put the car on high setting to remove the wheels but the car refused to go up or down so he thought he would jack it up and change them anyway and yes when he dropped it back down it went straight to the floor jamming both jacks underneath :oops:
i ended up jacking it up from under the tow ball to get it off the jacks and drove it to work with the rear on the floor, it did eventually come back up by it's self, as the linkage is free do you think it's maybe a case of taking it apart and cleaning it all out or should i just give it a miss and fir a new one.

I've got a brand new one available :roll:
3 Fiat 124 Sport 1969x2, 1968
2 Fiat 124 Spider 1976, 1971
1 Fiat 20VT Coupe Plus
BUT maybe moving to France