What's an RP number?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

What's an RP number?

Post by MikeT »

Looking for parts on GSF and Euro Car Parts they specify an RP number (i.e. 6264, 7389) among the differences. What is it, and how do I determine mine?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I think you might find it in your owners manual.
Don't get it confused with the ORGA number as it's apparently different.
I had a case about 12 months ago when I needed an RP number to determine a part of a VTS Xsara and had to give my VIN, engine and ORGA numbers and they worked it out for me.
You may need to do the same.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Its a unique number that denotes the cars bodystyle, engine, trim, optional extras, colour etc etc. Basically all the stuff a normal PDI would cover but in true Citroen style (as in not properly logged or registered) logged to a unique number. I am told its noted on the A pillar on later cars, however when I go into the dealers with my early model (1993) they still insist on the RP number even though it is void of one!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

God only knows!!! Citroen have to make things hard and ask fpr a RP No instead of a Chassis No. Every time I walk into the main dealer and they start with the RP No and I tell them

a) As the car is broken, kaput, at home and as such I dont have the RP No to hand, you dumbasses....
b) What the hell is a RP No????!
c) Where the hell is it on a 1993 My 'L' - I've spent the last 2 years looking and its not there!!!!!
d) Why cant you just ask for a Chassis no/Engine no just like Austin, Audi, Chrysler, Daimler, Datsun, FIAT, Ford, GM, Leyland, Mercedes, Nissan, Renault, Rover, SAAB, Toyota, VW & Volvo.

All this RP number bo**ocks is starting to wear a bit thin. Just ask for the Chassis, Engine or Reg Number you bunch of Cretins/Idiots/Muppets or Planks of Wood (delete as appropriate)

This is not a pop at you Mike, but at Citroen at being planks of wood for not carrying out PDI's properly.

Sorry for the rant - Craig.
shaker

Post by shaker »

The Citroën ORGA Number (organization number) or RP number (replacement parts number).... are the same thing.

Most Citroëns built after 01 Jan. 1980 have a 4-digit number stamped in ink somewhere on the body. From this, the so-called "ORGA" or "RP" number, one can calculate the day of production of that vehicle.

Apparently, Citroën first introduced this number on 08 Nov. 1976, since that is the day that corresponds to the ORGA number 0001. Starting from that date, this number was incremented by 1 every day, whether the factory was operational on that day or not.

check this link for year/number guide

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/downloads/citrpguide.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where to find the ORGA / RP number on your car ?

2CV and Dyane - On top of the bulkhead, right hand side.

BX - It is printed in blue (?) ink on the A-post (in front of the front door) on the driver's side just below the upper hinge, next to the sticker that specifies the tyre pressures.

CX - On the front of the left hand side suspension turret, usually hidden by wiring.

GSA - On the right inner front wing (?).

Xantia - On the bulkhead just in front of the right -front- suspension sphere (quasi below the front window). At that position one finds the color-code (a letter code) and, in smaller characters above that, the ORGA number.

XM - It is printed in white ink on the A-post (in front of the front door) on the driver's side.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :!:

When I first got this car and approached Citroen for prices, the guy asked me for the VX number which I copied and produced. I didn't take him up on the parts but assumed I'd need to quote it in the future and consequently noted it on my mobile phone.

However, after registering with PR net I wanted to view a diagram for my A/C switch and chosing the generic "xantia" lookup was presented with several different diagrams, none of which matched my facia layout!! :?

So I then did a lookup with the VX number and PR net duly gave me one solitary diagram - but it wasn't my facai again!!! :evil:

when I called Euro parts to check a ball joint part number they simply asked for my registration.

Additionally, when I recently bought the exhaust gasket kit from a Citroen/Suzuki/Kia dealer, they too asked for my registration.

Alan, thanks for your advise but I don't have an owners manual other than the handbook.

Craig, sorry to bring up such bad feelings though I hear and agree with what you're saying!

Shaker, thank you for a concise and detailed reply. I've seen the colour code (stamped upside down!) so I'll check there tomorrow.
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

MikeT wrote:Craig, sorry to bring up such bad feelings though I hear and agree with what you're saying!
Dont worry about it Mike its not your fault :lol: . What parts are you after and possibly we can help you with direct part no's (dont forget to state model, engine, trim and year)

All the best - Craig.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

On late facelift Xantias the RP number is on a sticker attached to the A Post visible when the drivers door is open. This sticker is the one that also shows the tyre pressures.

In this case, the RP number has a leading zero and does not look, at first glance, very much like the RP number.

On the older ones, the RP number is often white whereas the paint code is yellow.

EDIT: Mike, I've just thought... Your RP number can't be white or you'd never see it :oops: or, maybe perhaps that is why you can't see it because it is white on a white car :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks for the offer Craig, though it's best I'm self-sufficient in this matter so will endeavour to know my number.

Jim, your edit took the words right out of my mouth! :shock: If it is white numbering and the colour code is upside down, am I looking for a number upside down and below the colour code or above it? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just got out of my pit, will check for sure in a short while - watch this space
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

hi mike
if you go on pr net and type your vin number in and then click on charateristics it should give you the RP number on the first screen along with engine/gearbox number

my RP number has a 0 in front

hope this helps

colin
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Thanks Colin, I got the number off the car and went on PR net to confirm it. I didn't see it at first but there's quite a lot of useful details there to check.

Thanks everyone! =D>

However, I can't help wondering how an engine transplant will blow all that straight out of the water when it comes to engine parts.

Anyway, the number I read is 7499

Could someone please still hold my hand and confirm or deny the correct GFF part number for a water pump would be N17024?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes Mike, on that RP number the correct one is N17024. The other one will fit fine, it's just that late in production the cambelt covers changed a little and the pump changed a little to accommodate these changes. If I remember correctly, the cam cover lost a portion by the pump and the pump grew a bit of casting to take its place. If you use the earlier pump, it'll work perfectly but a small section of cambelt remains exposed.

I'd be happier using the right stuff as a stone lodging in the cambelt and sprockets can cause mayhem....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

:lol: What a minefield, eh? That's assuming I've got the original lump under the bonnet. I was a little anxious to make sure I get the correct parts as I'd hate to waste your time on needless errands once work begins, you've been such a great help to me and it would be more rewarding if things go as smoothly as possible.

Which reminds me, you'll be getting a pm very shortly.