C5-In energy saving mode-help!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

C5-In energy saving mode-help!

Post by Monkeyfeet »

- I can't close the windows.

Whilst pulling out the starter motor I had the car radio on, with the windows down so that I could hear it (as you do).Only prob is that it went into energy saving mode and the windows will not go back up.I think it's waiting for the engine to start, but I won't get a new starter till Monday.Got the battery disconnected for while so see if that resets the mode.Apart from putting the old starter back on and hoping it will start I'm a bit stuck.
The manual doesn't even mention this mode, so er, help anyone?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I'm sure that there is nothing you can do to turn off economy mode other than start the engine. The dealer may have a way by using their computer though but won't be open until Monday.

If Mr Haynes produced a C5 manual they would say to disconnect the battery before touching the starter as you could short out the solenoid and cause a spark.
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Are you sure they will not go up at all? In my XM if the battery has been disconnected for a while and the driver's window is down at the time, the upper limit is "forgotten" and needs to be reset by putting the window up using the non auto switch. It goes up a couple of cm at a time until it gets to the top. You can then use full auto up and down mode.

Just a suggestion. Not used to these new fangled econo mode cits though!
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

UFO,

The purpose of Eco Mode is to prevent all battery usage other than the starter motor. I think the door locks still work, but the indicators don't flash and interior lights don't turn on.

If you disconnect the battery the windows need re-initialising so they learn where the top is. There is a specific procedure to disconnect the C5 battery
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'm totally clue-less about these new fangled systems but would it be possible to break into a connection somewhere and provide 12v direct? i.e. the door connection or the switch?

Networking and Power-save mode!! Whatever next? Mr Gates refusing to start your car because you haven't registered your copy of Windows? (excuse the pun).
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

It wouldn't be easy.

The window switches are not wired to the window winder motors. Instead the switches are connected to something similar to a computer network that runs through the car. When you press a switch the computer sends a message to the window motors (also on the network).

In the same way as the internet your computer isn't directly connected to mine, but I could send you a message through the network.

It might be possible to strip the door down and apply power directly to the window winder motor but I wouldn't recommend trying!

I hope this makes sense.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

bencowell wrote:I hope this makes sense.
Yep, I understand networks far better than car electrics :lol:
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Thanks for all your replies.
When working on the starter you're right, the battery has to be disconnected (it was) otherwise I would definitely have shorted something out!
I was cleaning up the hoses etc later on when I made the fatal error :oops:

Last night I put the starter back on, wouldn't spin up at all, even with a jump lead to the starter with the solenoid on ( to move the engaging mech.), just got some very hot leads.

I'll look for the non-auto switch, but you're right - everything is powered down apart from the locks.

Love to have the software for the CAN (network) though.

Oh well, maybe plastic bags over the windows 'till Monday evening.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Why dont you just put insulating tape round the power cables & bump start it to get it out of ECO mode ?
Disconecting the battery & shorting the cables together & reconecting them can sometimes bring it out of eco mode for a few seconds enough to get the windows up.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Sorted it!

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Took apart the jump lead that got too hot - 2.5mm wire way too skinny for starting!
Wired in some 10mm earth cable instead, "jumped it" and bingo :lol:

Reset the windows and now the missus is happy again (it's her car)

And that's a result :wink:

Thanks for all the help too.