Rear brakes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caeclyd2

Rear brakes

Post by caeclyd2 »

I took my 98 Xantia estate for an MOT earlier in the week and it Failed :oops:
The only thing it failed on was that the rear near side brake was 50% less efficient than the offside.
I came home removed the pads cleaned everytning up etc etc.

In addition I also removed the pads and checked the pistons to ensure that they were not stuck. Whilst there I also bled a bit of the fluid incase there was an air lock.

I have put everything back together but it appears that I may still have a problem with the brake..... :roll:
It appears that I still only have 50% efficiency from that corner.

Have I missed anything?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Have you checked for corrosion between caliper and rear arms.
Its not that bad on Xantia as the rear arms are steel, but still the calipers may sit in an angle to the discs ...

If you are certain that both pistons in both calipers are freed up, the pads has been grinded down (on coarse emery paper on a flat surface), the discs has been cleaned & roughned with the same emery paper AND some heavy goods put in the trunk for a good testdrive using the brakes, THEN the rear brakes should well and truly do their job.

Note that you should do Citaerobics a couple of times - and THEN put the car in high - before you bleed the rear brakes - WELL !
- as air is still the likely culprit in the rear brakes circuit.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
caeclyd2

Post by caeclyd2 »

Anders,
Many thanks for the reply. I will be taking tha car to the garage on Tuesday where we can jack the car up on ramps and bleed a 4 corners. Just as well to get some fresh stuff through the pipes.
I have just been out with some plus gas and checked that the bleed nipples are free....luckily they were and in good condition.

I understand about the citerobics just before the bleed. Good tip about the weight in the car.

Thanks.
Rory