C5- is it my starter motor?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

C5- is it my starter motor?

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi all,

This is a problem that has been getting worse and worse until today when the engine would not spin at all: key turns in ignition, solenoid goes click (quite loudly with cover off) but the starter does not turn.Had to bump start it this afternoon.
There is a lot of oil gunge over the connections (starter/sol) but no obvious ingress that I can see.I think that this comes from the breather system somewhere.
I will have a proper look on Friday/ weekend - I just wondered whether it's time to order a new starter? - anyone have any experience?

Car details C5 2002 2.2hdi 16v
Battery seems ok - lights don't dim when ig key turned, all connections to battery and starter/sol seem ok
I know......should have looked sooner, when it first started happpening! :oops:
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
CTR

Re: C5- is it my starter motor?

Post by CTR »

Monkeyfeet wrote:Hi all,

This is a problem that has been getting worse and worse until today when the engine would not spin at all: key turns in ignition, solenoid goes click (quite loudly with cover off) but the starter does not turn.Had to bump start it this afternoon.
There is a lot of oil gunge over the connections (starter/sol) but no obvious ingress that I can see.I think that this comes from the breather system somewhere.
I will have a proper look on Friday/ weekend - I just wondered whether it's time to order a new starter? - anyone have any experience?

Car details C5 2002 2.2hdi 16v
Battery seems ok - lights don't dim when ig key turned, all connections to battery and starter/sol seem ok
I know......should have looked sooner, when it first started happpening! :oops:
There is a "relay" inside solenoid which actually power the starter. With time contacts erode. Solenoid is much cheaper than starter...

It was possible to start a car shooting appropriate contacts on the solenoid with the spanner (but it is your own risk! - it is high current).
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Thanks CTR,

I had hoped to put a jump lead from the battery to the solenoid output/ starter input terminal, but can only see the battery lead to the solenoid input. Looks the the two are integral.
I'm hoping it's only the sol contacts and that I can pull it apart and give the contacts a "good seeing to", just thought that by now they've probably been arc'd away
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
nexarius

Post by nexarius »

Probably a knackered solenoid, but it's definately worth redoing the connections to the starter to make sure - could well be corrosion on the connection to the solenoid itself.

Lights not dimming, so unlikely to be an electrical problem anywhere else, if you can hear the solenoid clicking.

If you hit the solenoid with something heavy you might get some more life out of it!
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Thanks nexarius,

I'm going to check out my collection of universal adjusters and have the heaviest on standby...........

I think I won't order a new starter quite yet!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You have got exactly the symptom of corroded battery terminals :!:

Undo the clamps, then rub clean the clamps inside and the terminals outside.
Check the battery voltage too. The battery may be weak.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Thanks Anders,

Thats what I thought, so I watched the headlights while the ig was turned, they didn't flicker at all - but I suppose that just means that the battery might be ok and the headlight circuit is ok/starter cct isn't , so the first thing I will do tomorrow is clean the battery connections.
I just hope it's that easy!
nexarius

Post by nexarius »

Unlikely to be battery terminals if you're not seeing a drop in voltage (or dimming of headlights).
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Always worth a check though.
Anyway, looks as if it is the solenoid, having cleaned all battery/earth conns and then after stripping away a load of the induction hoses, I was able to put a clip on the solenoid output - 0.5V when turning the key.Now to work out if I need to pull out the whole starter motor or not.....

Yes - because the solenoid cannot be taken apart to get at the contacts.Have ordered new starter for £85.Thanks for all your help.