Rear sphere change problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Rear sphere change problem

Post by elma »

Having difficulty removing the rear spheres from my xantia.
They are v. rusty and lok like little cannonballs from the sea.
I can get a grip on them but the whole rear strut is trying to turn.
I've done rear spheres a few times before bu have never had this problem undoing them. Anny ideas? Should I take this one to a cit specialest to avoid problems?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Elma,

You need to have the rear suspension on high to be able to undo the rear spheres. High is needed to expand the rams so that the suspension cylinder is held tight against the suspension mounts. You'll find it is quite loose if on low or depressurised. Trying to remove a sphere from a depressurised system risks damage to the hydraulic pipes.

You must be very careful doing this but set the suspension on high and just loosen the spheres off about 1/8th of a turn and then depressurise and fully remove the spheres. You'll find them very tight and you'll need a good removal tool.

TAKE CARE: These cars can kill so support securely on axle stands and ensure that when you are initially cracking off the spheres you are in no danger should the suspension suddenly depressurise and the car drop.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

it is on high. Both wheels have been left on the ground, just clear of the ground and also on the ground but with the weight of the car on the jacks. None of the above works, the whole strut still wants to spin.
They are very tight and have broken both of my chain wrenches this afternoon.
I have a feeling I'm nogt gonna be able to do this.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry Elma,

Should have said, you need the suspension on high and the wheels on the ground so that maxium compressive force is exerted on the ram/cylinder to make it as tight as possible. You may even need a paving slab in the boot :lol:

You need a seriously good sphere tool. Either copy Xac's or get a Peliades tool.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma

Post by elma »

I'm going to try with a few sacks of coal in the boot, good idea that.
If that fails its going to a cit specialest. Be pricy, but i don't think these are coming off without damaging pipes.
Thanks jim
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Where are you at the mo James?

If you're 'local' I can help with my proper sphere wrench...

I've found that if you brace the pipe's raised shoulder against the main
bore of the ram it will wedge against the subframe allowing a good
purchase with the band wrench without the pipe shearing.

Andrew
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

hi elma

probably wont help if you need the sphere off in next couple of days but i bought one of these
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... mot_widget

my back spheres were solid and like yours rusted (good description cannon balls :lol: )

i gave the tool a slight amount of help with my trusty "persuading tool" and the vibration helped break the tension

he is also doing the acc sphere tool which looks even better allround use as it has a socket drive

colin
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Take a look at http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21850

It's able to tackle some seriously tight spheres, especially the rears as you have the room to get a good long lever there.

Didn't manage citrojim's anti-sink or rear centre though, that required a pleides tool and a lump hammer I think! :D
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
elma

Post by elma »

Well food called so I didn't manage to get those spheres done yet.
I'll try again tomorrow with weight in the boot as jim suggested.
Failing that may I use your sphere wrench please Andrew? I'm not in cardiff at the minute but I'll be back within the next two weeks.
I hope I can get them off tomorrow though, you weren't meant to see the car again til it was finished.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I am afraid that a cold chisel and large hammer may be called for. I have had to use this method on several occaisions. The steady torque of the wrench will not always 'break' them, a short sharp shock is called for. Drive the cold chisel (it needs to be sharp) into the weld around the centre of the sphere, and drive it anti clockwise, a few sharp hits should free it.
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

James

I'm happy to lend a hand, along with the sphere wrench and moral
support too; if you're nearby - North Wales may be a bit of a trek!!

Andrew
elma

Post by elma »

I think I'm going to leave them until I see you now Andrew. They are definetly getting the better of me so far. I will consider the chisel as well Peter, but only if the sphere tool can't do it.
Can't believe the hassle they are causing. I've always told sceptical people that changing them is the same as a screw in light bulb and a child could do it.
James
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

elma wrote:I think I'm going to leave them until I see you now Andrew. They are definetly getting the better of me so far. I will consider the chisel as well Peter, but only if the sphere tool can't do it.
Can't believe the hassle they are causing. I've always told sceptical people that changing them is the same as a screw in light bulb and a child could do it.
James
Well they are, in countries where the roads aren't salted...... :wink: :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Is it worth maybe wrapping them in clingfilm or something once done or coating them in some form of thick paint like bitumen or something once fitted or sealing them in a bag as i cant see a sphere getting too hot on a hydro cit??
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just apply some waxoil around the join after fitting and dont do them up to tight, hand fit only.