C5 deploying airbags for no reason

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KSY
My Cars:

C5 deploying airbags for no reason

Post by KSY »

Hi guys,

has anyone experienced a C5 deploying airbags for no reason?

Mine did the "curtain" ones, with 10 seconds interval, right on a motorway. I stopped, waited a few minutes somewhat stunned and deafened, and shut the engine.

Now it thinks there was a crash. The engine won't start, starter motor works ok, the front and rear wipers move when I'm trying to start it. It now lights a "key in a box" picture - suppose it's the immobiliser not recognising the key.

Doesn't lock/unlock with the remote. Can lock it with a key though - central locking still works.

Yes, it was telling me something's wrong with airbags for a few days.

C5 estate 2.0 HDi 110bhp, 03 reg, 144k miles
SimonM

Post by SimonM »

HI, glad you are OK. I would contact Citroen head office and kick off big time. Air bags going off for no reason is very dangerous and this could be a design fault. I presume they are controlled by the BSI and these are know to go wrong but there must surely be some kind of failsafe mode to stop this happening. You should have taken it to be looked at when the car was telling you there was an airbag fault, but one wouldn't expect them to trigger!
02 C5 2.0i SX Estate
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I agree with Simon - they should defo not fire after a fault message. The worst scenario should be a MISSING fire in case of an incident :evil:

Thats certainly a story for my home Citroen board :!: :shock:

And should also be for your local 9'o'clock news !

BIG, BIG kick on Citroen :evil: - this could have cost the life of you and others on the motorway :shock:

IMHO this is one of the rare cases where you dont discuss warranty expired or not. They GOT to find the problem free of charge.
And lend you a car for free while they dissicate your C5.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
KSY
My Cars:

Post by KSY »

Well, that's what I thought - thanks for reaffirming it :)

The car is with Citroen dealer in Glasgow now - will update when I get any news from them!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

has the car had any work done on it before the incident ?
KSY
My Cars:

Post by KSY »

wheeler wrote:has the car had any work done on it before the incident ?
Can't be sure - bought it second hand, but I think it might have :oops:
KSY
My Cars:

Post by KSY »

Got the car back with disabled airbags for now. Airbag computer was soaking in some smelly liquid for a few weeks before the bags went off, and some of that stuff is still there.

Could be either smth from the car itself, or valet guys poured it through the lighter socket, etc. Will compare the stink to all the car fluids...

Dealers have enabled the engine without airbag computer, and have slightly tucked the airbags away. They still show up a bit from under the trim, and the trim isn't quite in place. This work cost me 207 quid - I needed the car for daily use.

Doing it properly - new computer and new airbags - will cost something like 800.

Before we went to see the car, the "service sales guy" told me that his previous renault experience includes airbags going off after a spill near the gear stick. Incidentally, C5's airbag computer is in the central channel just in front of gearstick.

Now I'm studying the smelly liquid to see where it could have come from. In the month before the incident, the car has had a valet, a service (in a small garage) and a coolant leak from the heater matrix. The coolant, as mechanic said, smells different and should make the passenger footwell carpet wet rather than go into the central channel. Said he suspects some cleaning substance, before I have mentioned the valet.