Wheel sticking to hub ...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I know this problem well :evil:

I scrape all the corrosion off the surface of the wheel centre hole using a sharp knife, wire brush the hub to remove any dirt and corrosion and refit the wheel using just a smear of copper grease on the surface where the hub meets the wheel centre hole.

I know what you mean about copper grease but touch-wood, this works for me quite well. I think the secret is to remove any existing corrosion carefully first.

Ordinary grease will do, anything really that will keep the weather out.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

yes there is a perfect alternative : aluminium grease, which contains alu grain instead of copper grain.
Otherwise its got exactly the same properties : hi.temp resistive, anti seizing etc.

For some reason the alu pendant to copper grease is not that wellknown as a widespread antiseize paste. Might be because the copper one was the first type anti-seize widely used, before so many automotive parts were made of alu/alloy.

IMHO the alu paste is much more versatile, as you got so many parts on modern cars made of alloy. And still its perfect on steel-to-steel parts as well - i.e. on exhaust parts for antiseize purposes.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'd sure like to know where to obtain such a product. It's proving elusive to say the least.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Me too :lol:

I looked for some yesterday at Beaulieu but drew a blank.

It is rare stuff, that is for sure :roll:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Its got to be available the same places where you can get the copper paste.
Its not that hard to find around here my place. Here is one example :

http://www.biltema.se article no 36-910 (copperpaste article no 36-1800)
(submitted the swedish version on purpose, seems to be easier to find english translations)

ImageImage
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I found one company through the internet (based in Gwent) and they sell to the trade minimum order of 12 aerosol cans @ about £7 each :shock:
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

... might be a reason why UK generally is thought of as a very conservative society ... :roll:
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Re: Wheel sticking to hub ...

Post by Stempy »

superloopy1 wrote: and also on the wheel bolts? Copper grease doesn't seem to be best as i've read that copper and alu dont mix well. True? Is there an alternative. Just know that it took a fair whack to get the fronts off and i'd rather grease it this time around. ..
You shouldn't use any grease on the wheel bolts.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Stempy wrote:You shouldn't use any grease on the wheel bolts.
... nothing wrong smearing a little on the threads ...
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

AndersDK wrote:
Until they come undone on their own, it has happened, I know someone it happened to.

Lexia ponce

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Stempy wrote:
AndersDK wrote:
Until they come undone on their own, it has happened, I know someone it happened to.
Only if they are incorrectly torqued! Grease on bolts will always make them easier to remove so it makes it more critical to torque them to the correct figure of slightly over. A seized wheel bolt on an alloy wheel is the worst thing to remove.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

I always use a torque wrench and no grease and I've never had any trouble undoing the bolts. Some manufacturers specify that grease is not to be used. But each to his own, I didn't want an argument, just trying to offer friendly advice, I shall say no more on the subject. :D

Lexia ponce

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

I've always used grease on wheel bolts as well - and provided that you correctly torque them I've never heard of anyone having them come undone.

Why should they ? There are a hundred other bolts in a car that are greased that could come undone on their own but don't - what's special about wheel bolts that would make them come undone ?

In fact with the alloys on my Xantia I routinely find that even though the threads are greased the bolts are tighter when I come to remove them a few months later, than what I did them up to...certainly not looser.

Bolts grip on the thread face and a rust free lubricated bolt is gripping over the maximum thread contact area - compare that to a highly rusty corroded bolt where the threads wont be flat and the contact area through rust patches may be a lot less...

Also as long as you use "normal" grease (no moly/graphite/copper type solid additives) the extreme pressure on the thread faces will force the oil film out and allow metal to metal contact - the grease just sits around in the gaps in the thread to prevent corrosion but wont actually prevent the metal to metal grip from occuring.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The tapered (or flat on alloys) bolt SEATS are the points not to lube. The threads can not lock the bolt against turning. If the threads were to do so, then you cold not wind in the bolt either.

The real horror is trying to repair a hub with a broken bolt :shock:

I've only once tried having a wheel becoming loose fit during drive. But that was caused by sloppy work. I simply forgot to torque the bolts when the car got on its wheels again after a repair job.
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

AndersDK wrote:
I've only once tried having a wheel becoming loose fit during drive. But that was caused by sloppy work. I simply forgot to torque the bolts when the car got on its wheels again after a repair job.
Been there, got the t-shirt!

I've lost count of the number of times I've forgotten to tighten the wheel nuts once I've dropped the car off the jack!

Once bitten, twice shy? Apparently not......
French car free zone....