Xantia 2.1

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xf8u

Xantia 2.1

Post by xf8u »

Following on from the previous problems that I had before. When I come to start the engine there is not even a click from the starter solenoid. I have checked all the fuses, but could it be a relay? There is no voltage getting to the solenoid.
Thanks in advance
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ignition switch?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is the rest of the car alive electrically? If so then as Peter says, ignition switch or its associated circuitry.

You can test the starter and its solenoid quite easily by disconnecting the solenoid wire and running a wire (of adequate size) direct from the solenoid to the battery.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xf8u

Post by xf8u »

I removed the starter motor, checked the solenoid and it worked. When I put it back on the car it doesn't. It must be the feed to it, but what and where I don't know.
Maybe some WD40 sprayed into the ignition switch might help????
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I suppose that the earth connection hasn't come off your engine? Try what Citrojim suggested, run a lead from the battery+ terminal and just touch it on the solonoid connection (but make sure it isn't in gear) If its only the supply from the ignition switch that's missing, you could run a couple of leads inside and treat yourself to a 'push button' starter. :)
deian

Post by deian »

It's not an immobiliser problem is it? Are there any lights on... the key light?
xf8u

Post by xf8u »

I sprayed come WD40 down where the key goes in and left for a few minutes, believe it or not it worked. The car will turn over but unfortunately, will not fire up. I still have got the problem with the pump. I will have to remove it and send it away for service/repair.