Head re-torqued

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

If you want a quick Xantia, and one that handles well, why don't you buy a cheap Activa off ebay.

I did exactly that a couple of years ago. I fitted a manual boost controller and the car used to fly. It cornered so well too. It was a lot of fun. It maybe a cheaper option in the long run.

cheers,
Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

How quick is the Activa? Can it run on veg oil without conversion? Tell me more about the boost controller please.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Activa is petrol unless you find a diesel one from France.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You'd love an Activa Mike but they can be (are) a money pit and will keep you fully occupied keeping it in good nick. If you do, be careful in buying one as they are complex, even by Xantia standards, and there are some really rough ones out there that would cost a fortune to get right. Imagine 10 new spheres, a new rad and a couple of new Activa Rams, which most will need, will leave not a lot of change from £750. And then there is the fish-like thirst to consider. Against that, they are a lot of FUN.

To address the Ollie Read tendencies, I'd be very tempted to get hold of a scrapper 2.1TD engine and do a transplant. The Activa and the 2.1TD shares a lot of mechanicals. You'd also need to do a Bosch pump transplant before you could run it on veg though as the 2.1TD uses the Lucaus EPIC.

To offset costs, sell the 2.0 petrol engine to a 205GTi owner :D Not to me though, my GTi is a totally standard one and that is how it is going to stay.

On the subject of the BE3 gearbox. It is as strong as an Ox, built like a brick outhouse and handles well over 150BHP with no problem at all. As said, the slight weakness is in the sun and planet gears in the diff. This is cured by fitting an LSD.

Be careful with NOS. It is a great way of turning your engine into a grenade....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...