Gearknob removal?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Gearknob removal?

Post by XantiaMan »

How do you get the gearknob off a Xantia? No funny answers please! :lol:

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Pull it really hard. True and not being funny. Bit of twisting helps as well.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Over here it's not a problem as they get rotten in the sun and fall apart. :shock: The problem we have is trying to get a knob that will fit on the shaft if you can't find or don't want an original.

The shaft is basically the same size all the way up, but at the top where it goes into the actual knob, it has been pressed into a + shape and has a thread tapped onto the legs of the +, hence it is not actually screwed on but more forced on so once removed, I doubt would ever be refitted in a way that could prevent it falling off in your hand at every gearchange.
Most knobs that can be bought at auto accessories stores don't allow for the + configuration, but in fact only have 3 instead of 4 pieces to hold the knob in position. They also have very tiny grubscrews to use as a retainer that are set to hold on the 3 leg set ups.
On mine, I had to drill the centre hole out and use epoxy to make it solid, so unless you really need to remove it, my best advice would be leave it where it is or what seems like a simple job can make a mess of a Saturday afternoon. :cry:

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

The knob in question is currently on an Activa so its worth trying to get the thing off, if it needs bonding on i have suitable stuff at work i can use..

Gareth
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;