Xantia brake service kit?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cpt_Spalding
My Cars:

Xantia brake service kit?

Post by Cpt_Spalding »

Xantia going in to general car mechanics tomorrow. The front calipers are not working & seem to be seized off. I read in that paragon of mechanical engineering that is the Haynes manula of something called a brake servicing kit. Do they exist & are they worth the effort? Or would I be better looking for a refurbished set of calipers if the existing can't be sorted?

Thanks.
'98 Xantia 1.9TD Tempt 2 Estate.
Had an M reg long ago as co. car & been curious about owning again ever since.
What have I done????
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The Xantia front caliper has got a handbrake in with it - so someone has to clean the whole thing, take it apart, clean it all again which will mean getting all the grease and crud off the handbrake bits, fit new seals, fit the new handbrake parts and put it all back together again.

How much is labour,? How long will this take? Can they get the bits at the right time? How much are the bits? How much is a recon caliper?

Its the labour that makes the refurbishment of parts viable for the DIY mechanic only.

If the handbrake isn't adjusting - try pushing really hard on the brake pedal with the engine running and operating the handbrake lever vigorously a few times while you keep the pedal down. You may be surprised!
jeremy