Electrical Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcruk

Electrical Problem

Post by mcruk »

Hi all

I recently removed the factory fitted radio casette player from my Citroen Xantia hoping to put my Cd player in it place.

Anyway, I pulled the unit out and insertered the CD player and it powered up ok. Moments later however it turned itself off. I checked the wiring etc but still nothing. So I put the old unit back in and again that is dead. I also noticed that the internal clock had died and my central locking has gone with it!

I have chjecked the fuses but they are fine.

Any ideas what else this could be?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Nasty!

I'd go to the wiring diagrams in Haynes and look for things like wires and plugs shared by the radio, clock and central locking - then start investigating them. This is not as big a task as it looks as if a component is shared by something else which works then you can eliminate that one.

Sounds as though your new unit may have a problem. Why not solder an indicator bulb to 2 old fuse legs and put that in when you reconnect it. The bulb will allow about 1 1/2 amps to pass which should be enough to power up the radio and see if it and the rest of the installation is working without doing further damage.

Have you tested to see if the fault is in the power or earth circuit? Is the memory supply still working?
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I agree. The problem with the Haynes manual is that it shows wires connected to a common point which in fact are not. The fuel gauge ceased on my sons XM and after a great deal of time and effort I found a 12v supply missing from one of the instrument panel connectors, according to the circuit it was a common supply to one of the other connectors, and yet there was 12v on that one! so I just joined them together and eureka!

As Jeremy says, you need to establish whether it the supply or earth lead that o/c, when you find it, the easiest thing to do is run a connection from somewhere else.

I would double check all the fuses though. I believe there are some more under the bonnet, well there are on the XM anyway.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I had same problem ages ago. To get power back it a fuse, but not the one on the stereo its one in the fusebox under the steering wheel.
Probable cause is the live and the earth cable on the new headunit being the other way round to what citroen headunit had.
mcruk

Post by mcruk »

ok, i think I will have to get someone to help me with the technicalaties as these are just way beyond my abilities. Gives me something to go on though and thanks.