Smoke on cold start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jcdel
My Cars:

Smoke on cold start

Post by jcdel »

This is a continuation of the blown turbo saga.It revved it's rolo's off blew smoke and oil everywhere.Wouldn't switch off and frightened everybody over a ten mile radius.I changed the turbo.(off a Peugeot 406 but does fit eventually.The problem I have now is that although the car has more guts pointing that the original turbo was pretty much shot anyhow it smokes on a cold start.Soon after starting the smoke disappears and the engine ticks over like a sewing machine.Starting is not a problem but it does knock like blazes unless you rev it to clear the smoke.Has anybody had the same problem and is it a game of patience waiting for it to burn off the oil that seems to have got everywhere. :roll:
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Usual smokey start causes are defective glowplugs or air in the fuel.

What colour is the smoke? White - unburnt fuel - glowplugs or air

Blue - lubricating oil

Black - partially burnt fuel - excessive fuel or timing.

The heavy knock you describe can be due to overfuelling - something like 1 1/2 charges in a cylinder - ie some left over from a previous injection stroke - or from another source like easystart (ether)

Have you cleaned the intercooler - in which case did you use a solvent and how far has the car been driven? If for example you used petrol you'll find it very difficult to get it all out - compressed air from an airline would probably find a path through part of it and not reach the rest. Petrol drawn from the intercooler after cleaning would cause overfuelling.
jeremy