2nd opinion head gaskit ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

2nd opinion head gaskit ?

Post by caveman_si »

Just had a nice weekend with the inlaws, drooling over some classic cars, including a citroen traction 1952 i think. It was beautiful.

Anyway I digress over the w/e I got dragged to look at someone elses 406 1.9 td to compare to mine (Mine is way nicer :lol: ) and having a look over it I think I discovered a blown headgaskit but want a 2nd opinion before I break the bad news and send him to the garage.

The coolant system pressurises quickly to the point of the hoses being hard to squeeze when hot. There is lots of "mayo" in the oil cap and when the car is warmed up it blows an oil mist or steam ? out of the oil filler/ dipstick hole if you take the dipstick out. Also fills up the breather with mayo. I asked a few questions, its only done 100-150 miles since the last oil change most of it in one go, never run dry, or over heated while he had it. Recent coolant change/flush plus thermostat change and not noticed its using coolant. The belts were done end of last yr a few months after he got it. So hes tried to look after fairly reasonable with regualr oil changes and his coolant change. But I did notice it has a newish radiator which must have been pre him, as he hasnt fitted it and it has 151k on the clock. I did check it had been bled properly after the coolant change so its not that.

So does it sound like the head I cant think of what else it could be? If so whats an average garage price to sort it for him? (as ive never done one and i dont trust him to try that on his own) and want to give him a guide price.

Cheers gents
406 lx 1.9td estate
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

when i asked the question for my xantia my local car doctor quoted me £300 - £350 for headgasket water pump and cambelt

colin
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if its a diesel it £400/500 to do the head job on its own properly
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'd try establish for sure its the h/g - before letting it in for a h/g change [-(

Yes the old methods still applies : grey oil (from coolant) and saucy coolant (from oil). But these symptoms are rare these days.

The mayo is much more likely to come from many short runs - or from a dead thermostat, that wont close properly when cold.

If you unplug a fume/sump hose on any car, you will get a nasty blow of oil fumes. Perfectly normal, especially on diesels as these have 2.5 times higher compression and therefore also much more blow-by to the sump.

The best test these days on recent engine types is the coolant cap removed - at COLD engine :shock: - then starting the engine and let it idle up to normal working temperature.
If you get constant serious larger bubbling from the coolant - intensity following engine revs - then this pressure can only be from escaped combustion pressure, as the engine is not yet hot enough to produce steam locks.
Dont mistake with any small random sodapop fizz which is normal.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Cheers Colin and malcom.

And yup its a 1.9 td diesel so guess im telling him, he's looking at the thick end of £400.

And since you gave me prices and not alternatives im guessing my diagnoises of blow headgasket was spot? Yay for me ive learned stuff pain for him tho.
406 lx 1.9td estate
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

the price £300-£350 is from a local one man band and has been spot on in any work he does for me even let me use his workshop while he was on holiday to do work on my xantia use of lift and tools most helpful :lol:

guess an indipendant would charge 25% on top but i wouldnt say it was defo HG i leave that to the experts :)

colin
goldfinche
My Cars:

Pressuring etc.

Post by goldfinche »

Hello If you are friendly with an MOT man than get him to use his gas analizer to 'sniff' the gas bubbles and see if they are combustion gases. If they are then thats proof positive it's a head gasket or cracked head etc.
Best of luck.
Cheers.
Geoff.
1991 Turbo diesel automatic.BX.
1993 ZX td. slowly dieing.