Xantia HDI LIFT Pump life expectancy

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lawns
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Xantia 11 2.0 HDI. 110
C3 1.4 HDI DV4C A51
Peugeot 3008 2.0 HDI 150

Xantia HDI LIFT Pump life expectancy

Post by lawns »

Hi all,
Has anyone found a Xantia in tank fuel lift pump that lasts more than 18 months or 12.000 miles?
The Bosh pump, which was on my Xantia when I purchased it in 2004, started to make intermittent rumbling noises soon after I got it. I changed it a year later when the rumbling became continuous and caused a hammering noise from the engine fuel filter.
My next pump assembly was an Airtex from GFS (purchased as GFS in tank, pump only replacement item did not fit my old Bosh pump assembly). This has lasted 18 months before it also started to rumble and cause the same hammering noise from my fuel filter.
As I have read in other posts the damage that these pumps can do to the rest of the fuel system I replaced it immediately. Again I tried GFS in tank, pump only replacement but it did not fit my old Airtex pump assembly either (the guy at GFS said they did not know of any pump assembly it fitted, so be warned if you go for this option).
The next cheapest option was another complete pump assembly this time from Euro parts, it turned out to be a Bosh unit but only lasted 1 day before the same problems started to return. It’s on its way back to Euro parts!
As I could not find any other supplier or make it was back to GFS for another Airtex pump assembly and have had 2 days so far of quiet driving.
What is the problem with these pumps? I only get fuel from Asda or Tesco’s, the pump assembly pick up filters have always been clean when I take them out and I cover less than 12000 miles a year.
Regards,
Dave.
2000 Xantia HDI 110 53000 miles
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I don't know if they'll fit a Xantia, but the Mahle pump on my Xsara is date stamped 2002 & appears to be the original one. After 5 years its still quiet and shows no signs of giving any problems yet.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

How do you run the fuel tank? I've heard (anecdotally only mind) that if you habitually run the tank at less than 1/4 full, this causes the pump to run hot, shortening life. I've not heard much about the lift pumps recently - I assumed they were OK now.....perhaps not (which is a bit of a bugger since I've just bought an HDi).

OTOH my parents 2002 Xsara is still on its original at 60k miles.
Richard W
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

How do you run the fuel tank? I've heard (anecdotally only mind) that if you habitually run the tank at less than 1/4 full, this causes the pump to run hot, shortening life.
I have heard the same thing. Runing HDI's low on fuel less then 1/3-1/4 causes the pump to get to hot and self distruct due to a loss of lubrication. One possible solution I have heard of is installing a fuel cooler on the the diesel return pipe.

If theres is a hammering noise from the fuel filter are you sure its the fuel tank pump? Could be something engine fuel pump related?
406 lx 1.9td estate
lawns
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Xantia 11 2.0 HDI. 110
C3 1.4 HDI DV4C A51
Peugeot 3008 2.0 HDI 150

Xantia in tank lift pump

Post by lawns »

Hi all,
Thanks for your warning on not running with a low fuel level. As the car does local trips most of the time, I do run the fuel tank from full to empty. I think Citroen should run a health warning on its in tank lift pumps.
Regards,
Dave