93 ZX Dashboard illumination

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paul Thomas
My Cars:

93 ZX Dashboard illumination

Post by Paul Thomas »

My dashboard illumination is very dim at night. (Yes, I have tried adjusting the brightness knob, that just makes it worse !)
Could it be that the illumination bulbs have failed over time ?
Are they straight forward to replace ?
----------------------------------------
If it ain't broke ....... Leave it alone !
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The removal of the instrument panel requires the wheel to be removed and the column shroud to be removed, Haynes states other items like ducting and the bonet release catch also need to go.
If you haven't got the book its worth getting one for this type of job as it usually tells you where the fiddly clips are that invariably break.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I did this job the other day - bit fiddly but Ok is my verdict.
I did not remove the steering wheel - I would have done it if I needed to but there was no real need. What you will have to do is to remove the steering wheel adjuster bracket to get the fuse box out of the way so you can reach up to disconnect the speedo cable.
While you are at it make sure you replace all the instrument illumination bulbs unless you are enjoying yourself so much you want to do it all over again soon.
I recall there was a bulb under the cover to the right of the panel. You will need about 7? bulbs.
Enjoyy doing your heater ones next! - I've got to do those now.
What you will need is an assortment of Torx and posidrive bits and some patience.
jeremy
B_Draper
My Cars:

Post by B_Draper »

Long Post!
To change the heater control panel lights see: http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=1698
To change the dashboard lights is a bit trickier. You'll need quite a bit of time (1/2 to 1 day) and a back like a young russian gymnast!You may want to wait until they have virtually blown, but that would obviously be illegal for night driving! It would be easiest to change all the bulbs at the same time. Off the top of my head, the basics for the dashboard lights are:
1. Remove the torx screws holding the dashboard controls in place and remove the Hazards/Foglights/Rear Demister surround, remembering which plugs go where. Undo the rest of the screws holding the dash in position.
2. Lower the steering wheel to its lowest position
3. There are three ways of doing the following step
Either carefully remove the air vent to the right of the dashboard and reach round to the back of the dashboard and squeeze the clip holding the speedo to the dashboard.
OR
Remove the radio, reach round to the back of the dashboard and squeeze the clip holding the speedo to the dashboard.
OR
Undo the bolt holding the bonnet/hood release and surrounding trim and reach up to the speedo... etc.
4. Making sure you have released all electrical/wire cables (make a note of the color sequence) and screws, carefully tease the dashboard out of the housing as you won't want to scratch the surface plastic.
5. Change all bulbs on the dashboard - you will not want to do this again in three weeks! There are about 10 - 12 bulbs for the dashboard and 3 - 4 for the heater control.
6. Replace everything in it's original position and go for a test drive!
One word of warning - do NOT yank the dashboard out as you will pull on the speedo cable which might give a wobbly speedo if you do not have one already. This seems to be a big fault of RHD Citroens as many Users of this forum which agree on! If you already have a wobbly speedo - you may wish to
1. Insert the cable back in to the dashboard as hard as you can - this will stop the wobble on a temporary basis as I have found.
2. Other people have inserted a rubber flange of some kind in between the outer cable and the plastic clip which secure the cable ion to the dashboard to stop the outer shield of the cable from twisting. Not sure how this works or how long it will work for.
3. Live with it as the wobble on my speedo came back via a enthusiastic drive!
Good Luck!
Ben
andyg

Post by andyg »

Paul,
You say that by adjusting the "brightness knob" only makes it worse - try changing it, they are about £2-£3 from a decent scrapyard. If they are left in the same position over the years, they do burn out.