Airbag Light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

Airbag Light

Post by KP »

Well i have finally sold my Fiat Coupe and moved onto a not too bad V plate(99) Mk2 1.9td Xantia.

Not bad bu a few things i need to do and was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on the issues...

Airbag light comes on then flashes when the engine is running regardless of the position of the On/Off control for the passenger side. I have been told that the place i bought the car from tried to clear the fault but it came up as the sensor under the passenger seat.. I'm not sure if there is a sensor or not for the passenger side under the seat as i dont have a haynes to hand to see if it would help.

The car has no service history with it but has both keys with it(though one is very grubby) and was a bit smokey on boost when i picked it up but ive changed the airfilter and pulled back the on boost fuelling a little bit via the lovely Bosche pump :D
Ive chucked in some SVO to flush the system out a bit before i give it a service at the weekend. then i will have to tackle the cambelt when i get some more cash in the next week or two.

The dash vents are cracked and i should really pull them out and replace them, the ones above the radio in the centre console.

The radio doesnt have a code with it so i will either get it recoded or possibly buy an older version with the aux in socket but would this work on a Mk2?

And the passenger seatbelt has a small tear in it but its not worth the chance so i will replace that as well with another one.

The car also doesnt appear to have a priming bulb but just has a direct feed to the filter housing and i was thinking of Tee'ing into this and feeding the Fuel return into it so that the pump and fuel warms up a bit quicker and it reduces air in the system. I have heard of things called Tiger Loops being used but have seen mention of this Tee'ing-in method being used by others and was wondering what thoughts about this method was :)

Its got 107k on the clock, its not too bad with the odd nick and scratch but thats to be expected at 8yr old :) and the ride is nice and soft as well but i dont doubt it will get new spheres all round in the next 2 months anyway and a nice flush out with hydra flush as well :)

Any help with the problems above would be mucho appreciated and it feels nice to be back in the fold, although missing the power of the 2.1td a bit but thats offset in SVO cost :D
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Don't know much about the diesel side of things but I had the air bag light come on and cured it by cleaning the contacts of the electrical plugs and sockets under the seats. Make sure you disconnect the battery for half an hour before trying it though.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A diesel is VERY (very !) sensitive to air on the suction side of the pump. I would not Tee back the return into the suction hose from the tank, as this would immediately impose greater riscs that air gets into the suction side.

Air inside the diesel pump will at best screw up the fuel volume control, causing lumpy and un-predictable engine running/rev'ing, at worst prevent the engine starting without constantly priming it.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Sturdybloke

Re: Airbag Light

Post by Sturdybloke »

KP wrote:Well i have finally sold my Fiat Coupe and moved onto a not too bad V plate(99) Mk2 1.9td Xantia.
Well done :)
KP wrote:Airbag light comes on then flashes when the engine is running regardless of the position of the On/Off control for the passenger side. I have been told that the place i bought the car from tried to clear the fault but it came up as the sensor under the passenger seat.. I'm not sure if there is a sensor or not for the passenger side under the seat as i dont have a haynes to hand to see if it would help.
Count the number of flashes and also if they are long or short. Come back and tell us and I will see if it mentions anything about the problem in my autodata book. Common problem as Stempy has said is the pretensioners connection under the seat. Some people remove the plug and solder the connections. Not quite as common is the clock spring behind the steering wheel they can sometimes play up. Disconect battery for at leats 30 mins before playing with Airbags/SRS systems

KP wrote: The dash vents are cracked and i should really pull them out and replace them, the ones above the radio in the centre console.
If the Mk2 vents are the same as the Mk1 - nice flatbladed screwdriver between the vent and the central divider with a gentle outward pressure they should just pop off, repeat on the other vent.
KP wrote: The radio doesnt have a code with it so i will either get it recoded or possibly buy an older version with the aux in socket but would this work on a Mk2?.
See here (I still have it) -

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ht=#136633
KP wrote: Any help with the problems above would be mucho appreciated and it feels nice to be back in the fold, although missing the power of the 2.1td a bit but thats offset in SVO cost :D
Hope this is of some help - Craig.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Thanks everyone :)

The airbag light just flashes on and off without pause when the engine is running, ill check later to see if it does any flashes during the pre-heating sequence though and check the connectors under the seat.

The radio i really need is the uprated one with the Auxillary Input on the front so i can hook up my MP3 player with minimum fuss :)

Ill maybe try a local scrappers and see if they have one in with the code though i know the chances are super slim.

I'm in Doncaster so I'll try and see if I can find an audio specilist to decode it for me otherwise ill use the one I've found on ebay :)

Thanks again everyone its nice to be back
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Airbag Light

Post by MikeT »

KP wrote:Airbag light comes on then flashes when the engine is running regardless of the position of the On/Off control for the passenger side. I have been told that the place i bought the car from tried to clear the fault but it came up as the sensor under the passenger seat
Mine had this problem, was the underseat connectors. I cleaned and refitted them which temporarily cured it, but had to cut and solder the wires for a permanent fix. The warning light will reset itself once cured.
KP wrote: ive changed the airfilter and pulled back the on boost fuelling a little bit via the lovely Bosche pump :D
May I ask what and how you adjusted the pump exactly?
KP wrote:The radio doesnt have a code with it
I have some decoder software that my give your code. Let me know if you want me to try for you, you've got nothing to lose. Just let me know the make (Clarion is it?) and I'll see what I've got.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

AndersDK wrote:A diesel is VERY (very !) sensitive to air on the suction side of the pump. I would not Tee back the return into the suction hose from the tank, as this would immediately impose greater riscs that air gets into the suction side.

Air inside the diesel pump will at best screw up the fuel volume control, causing lumpy and un-predictable engine running/rev'ing, at worst prevent the engine starting without constantly priming it.
Hi AndersDK, I read a tip that this can be done to increase fuelling (don't know why or how), is it possible to channel the return back to the inlet/feed without it going back to the tank and would this risk air induction too?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote:
AndersDK wrote:A diesel is VERY (very !) sensitive to air on the suction side of the pump. I would not Tee back the return into the suction hose from the tank, as this would immediately impose greater riscs that air gets into the suction side.

Hi AndersDK, I read a tip that this can be done to increase fuelling (don't know why or how), is it possible to channel the return back to the inlet/feed without it going back to the tank and would this risk air induction too?
I can see where this comes from. If you tee the return back into the inlet of the pump, you increase slightly the transfer pressure of the pump and thus increase fuelling a little.

Basically, the pump has two pumps within the casing, the lift pump that drags diesel from the tank into the pump body at low pressure and the high pressure injection pump proper. Excess pressure and fuel pumped by the lift pump spills back to the tank via the return line. The pressure existing within the pump body will influence slightly the final delivery pressure and volume.

As you both say, this is not a good idea at all, not least from the risk of the pump leaking due to excess pressure within.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Yes i think its the clarion but i havent got to the stage of getting the fascia off as i have a carkit to fit soon as well ill do it all at once :)

The airbag light has now fixed itself from what i can tell :roll:

The adjustment i have made is via the enrichment device under the dust cap ontop of the pump itself. I found this while searching the net for info a long time ago with one of my first XUD9TE engined Xantias to help get a bit more power out of it whilst on boost and to help remove the smoke from overfuelling when on boost as well :)
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Well I've given up on the standard fit radio. It doesn't have a line or aux input I can use for my MP3 player and I have tried the older style from a Mk1 Xantia and that doesn't work with the steering controls.

I'm now off to hunt out a cheap Mp3 headunit and get the fascia adapter and the adapter lead as well if i can find one. Would have liked a Blaupunkt but they aren't cheap :(
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

MikeT : if you want to increase fuel volume, there is a fuel volume set screw to calibrate the fuel volume on the diesel pump. Its a very common tweak to turn up a bit the fuel volume - but illegal of course :wink:

You will get caught in the MOT diesel smoke test at least.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

KP: I don't know if the radio decoder software is still working - my anti-virus deleted something nasty in the folder of the programs - but if you still need the code, let me know and I'll get back to you as it'll ask me for certain numbers on the casing.

AnderDK: Is that the well-protected screw Jim mentioned, that sits on the injector pipe side? Maybe I should have started my tweaking with that one first as it seems to be the master volume screw.

With the experience I'm gaining, I should be able to re-adjust the smoke for the MOT. I know the Thread Subject implies I want black smoke but that wasn't my goal, :lol: I wanted more power and smoke seems to be the simplest indicator of fuelling levels.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Hi MikeT,

I have the code form Citroen for all of £5 but the radio as well as having the lines across the middle now has lines across the bottom. its the 4035 version. it should look like '----' i should then hold 'BND' down and 'CODE IN' should appear, but instead I get '_ _ _ _' under the '- - - -' instead which i am guessing to show it means the unit is locked :(

Anyone reccomend any good Mp3 playing headunits that i can easily get an adapter cable for that dont cost the earth??

Thanks again guys,
Will
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I'm not entirely sure but I know the radio's can lock you out (for several hours?) if you make 3 wrong attempts. Just leave it switched on while driving and it may eventually allow you another 3 attempts - but I could be wrong.

If you prefer to fit a 3rd party unit, I recently got some Ford->OE adapter leads from ebay for a few quid. I imagine you can get the same for your car.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Ive tried leaving it on for an hour like that and no use, i think it was nearly 1hr30mins but ho hum :(