Xantia Forte Estate 2.0HDi 2001Y Alarm Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citrosky
My Cars:

Xantia Forte Estate 2.0HDi 2001Y Alarm Problem

Post by Citrosky »

Hi Everyone,

I have the following problem with the alarm on my above metioned car.

When I set the alarm, after approx. three quarters to an hour the alarm will sound and will need to be turned off, this happens all the time when activated. Futhermore the alarm when set sometimes beeps and sometimes does'nt also the swicth on the dash which isolates the internal sensors when pressed does not light up.

I have had the battery checked in case its beginning to fail however this appears to be fine. I have a Haynes manual but there is very little about the alarm and no wiring diagram. Does anyone have any knowledge of this system or indeed a wiring diagram.

Any help would be greatly apprecited
Don't let it develop FIX IT !!!!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

My first check would be to see if the passenger footwell is damp from water ingress under the windscreen scuttle panel. It is easy to see if you are damp; lift the passgenger door rubber and slide your hand in under the carpet and sound deadening foam. This leak is a very, very common occurance on a Xantia due to terrible design.

Most of the alarm components live on the sill in the passenger footwell, towards the passenger seat and damp here (especially in the wiring connectors) can cause all sorts of strange alarm problems.

Also isolate the ultrasonic detectors (those little round things in the doors). Do this by holding the defeat button pressed as you turn on the ignition (I Think?) The defeat button has a crossed out speaker symbol on it. Alternatively, you may try covering the ultrasonic detectors with PVC tape.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citrosky
My Cars:

Xantia Alarm Problem

Post by Citrosky »

Thanks Citrojim,

I ll check wiring out tomorrow - lets hope its a bad connection.

Can the water ingress be easily rectified?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Alarm Problem

Post by CitroJim »

Citrosky wrote:Can the water ingress be easily rectified?
Yes, the leak is caused by the plastic scuttle panel on the lower edge of the windscreen parting company with the screen glass itself allowing water to cascade in through the heater intake just below it rather than the scuttle panel deflecting it harmlessly away.

The panel can easily be bonded back on again with automotive grade RTV silicone sealant. Not many windscreen fitters know the importance of a good bond here. Only the two feet or so above the heater intake needs to be well bonded.

The big problem is to dry out the carpets and footwells. They won't dry on their own and the best way is to have the carpets right out. This entails seat and centre console removal. Luckily the carpet comes out in three pieces: rear, front passenger and driver. The drivers side rarely leaks so that can stay put. It'll take, on average, a week of hanging the carpets and foam over bannisters whilst you drive around in a car with a stripped interior. Racing Xantia anyone :lol:

One tip is if you have seat airbags, they don't need to be disconnected as the cables are long enough to allow the seat to go sufficiently far back to remove the carpet.

I've had to do this on both my Xantias now :lol: :(

The leak can also cause your blower speed control module to fail as this gets doused in rather more water than is good for it :( Easy enough to repair again though :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citrosky
My Cars:

Re: Xantia Alarm Problem

Post by Citrosky »

citrojim wrote:
Citrosky wrote:Can the water ingress be easily rectified?
Yes, the leak is caused by the plastic scuttle panel on the lower edge of the windscreen parting company with the screen glass itself allowing water to cascade in through the heater intake just below it rather than the scuttle panel deflecting it harmlessly away.

The panel can easily be bonded back on again with automotive grade RTV silicone sealant. Not many windscreen fitters know the importance of a good bond here. Only the two feet or so above the heater intake needs to be well bonded.

The big problem is to dry out the carpets and footwells. They won't dry on their own and the best way is to have the carpets right out. This entails seat and centre console removal. Luckily the carpet comes out in three pieces: rear, front passenger and driver. The drivers side rarely leaks so that can stay put. It'll take, on average, a week of hanging the carpets and foam over bannisters whilst you drive around in a car with a stripped interior. Racing Xantia anyone :lol:

One tip is if you have seat airbags, they don't need to be disconnected as the cables are long enough to allow the seat to go sufficiently far back to remove the carpet.

I've had to do this on both my Xantias now :lol: :(

The leak can also cause your blower speed control module to fail as this gets doused in rather more water than is good for it :( Easy enough to repair again though :)
Thanks once again Jim for your kind help and advice.