C5s and DOT4 brake fluid

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

C5s and DOT4 brake fluid

Post by lolingram »

Anyone any thoughts as to why Citroen reverted to horrid alcohol based DOT brake fluid for C5/C6s?

Seems a real retrograde step...
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

There may be two reasons Lol,

One is that all other PSA group cars now use conventional brakes and thus reasons of economy and the other reason my be due to safety legislation.

The old hydraulic pump/doseur/accumulator system may be seen by legislators as a system having severel single points of failure and thus not truely dual circuit and have effectively been legislated out of existence.

It cannot be because the factory making hydraulic components has shut down as they're still in procuction for Iranian CKD Xantia kits.

Whatever, I agree it is a retrograde step and very regrettable.

It could just be because people don't like the pedal feel and/or cannot cope with the exceptionally efficient brakes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Didn't some Citroens with "normal" brakes use LHM in the system too?

I seem to recall my mum's 1982 Dyane used LHM rather than DOT fluid.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

nick wrote:Didn't some Citroens with "normal" brakes use LHM in the system too?

They did indeed Nick :)

I've never understood, nor been given any good reason why conventional glycol based brake fluid is preferred over LHM in any system. Look at brake fluid: it's corrosive, hgroscopic (sp? - absorbs water), a paint stripper , poisionous (I believe) and it seizes nipples. LHM and mineral-based hydraulic fluids have none of those drawbacks. So what is it? cost? or does LHM in comventional brake circuit arrangements have some major drawback I'm not aware of?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Isn't the C5 on LHS? Maybe it's got different properties not suitable for brakes.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

superloopy1 wrote:Citrojim - just had a quick look at your website. Are you planning on pushing out the links to all those little sub-jobbies, hydraulics, calipers etc. Would be damned useful to someone like me, pictures tell a thousand words or so they say ...... :D
Yes, I am!

Time is the enemy at the moment. Keep watching it :wink:
Jim

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The simple fact is that PSA has decided to cut costs. It would cost more money to design a LHM or LDS based ABS system with EBD and all of the other features that the 407 has. Even if they went with a conventional system and used LHM or LDS in it (assuming they were suitable) they'd have to change seals and pipe materials, which is a load of cost they don't need to be involving themselves in.

If you wanted a step forward, perhaps a DOT5 silicone based fluid would have been a way forward, but apparently it doesn't work well with ABS and has issues with aeration.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Kowalski wrote: If you wanted a step forward, perhaps a DOT5 silicone based fluid would have been a way forward, but apparently it doesn't work well with ABS and has issues with aeration.
You may be on to something there :) LHM certainly behaves badly when aerated. Bleeding Xantia brakes after an LHM change can produce a bottle of froth, like a green pint of beer :lol:

I've never seen conventional brake fluid froth like LHM can and perhaps yes, Elma, LDS may froth even more badly than LHM does.
Jim

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

elma wrote:Isn't the C5 on LHS? Maybe it's got different properties not suitable for brakes.
Not LHS - but LDS.

LHS was the old red stuff used in pre '67 D-models.

The latest type LDS (Liquide Direction & Suspension) fluid is not compatible with either LHS, LHM or DOT3/4 fluids.

Donno what kind of fluid LDS really are, but I'm pretty sure we'll soon learn how its composed, at least to know its base fluid type.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

citrojim wrote: You may be on to something there :) LHM certainly behaves badly when aerated. Bleeding Xantia brakes after an LHM change can produce a bottle of froth, like a green pint of beer :lol:
Thats caused by the pump losing its prime when you disconnect the feed line to the pump and/or lift the centre out of the tank, causing a large air pocket to be sucked in by the pump, airated, and then returned to the tank and/or into the system.

The trick to prevent that getting into the rest of the system is to make sure to always start with the bleed screw open after doing an LHM change, let it idle a couple of minutes for the air to circulate out and the frothing in the tank to die down, and if you're really paranoid let it stand for 10-15 minutes with the engine off before closing the bleed screw and pressurizing as normal. This way you won't get any bubbles into the hydraulic system at all...
I've never seen conventional brake fluid froth like LHM can and perhaps yes, Elma, LDS may froth even more badly than LHM does.
Conventional brake fluid has no magic anti-froth properties, it's just not subjected to the kind of scenario described above where its being pumped through a high pressure pump along with a mixture of air when the system is being primed...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:Donno what kind of fluid LDS really are, but I'm pretty sure we'll soon learn how its composed, at least to know its base fluid type.
Indications are that LDS is a synthetic mineral compatible oil - and that seals and sphere diaphrams between LHM and LDS systems are in fact compatible with each other. No hard evidence yet though, and I forget the source of this information, so take it with a grain of salt. :wink:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

citrojim wrote:
nick wrote:Didn't some Citroens with "normal" brakes use LHM in the system too?

They did indeed Nick :)

I've never understood, nor been given any good reason why conventional glycol based brake fluid is preferred over LHM in any system. Look at brake fluid: it's corrosive, hgroscopic (sp? - absorbs water), a paint stripper , poisionous (I believe) and it seizes nipples. LHM and mineral-based hydraulic fluids have none of those drawbacks. So what is it? cost? or does LHM in comventional brake circuit arrangements have some major drawback I'm not aware of?
My son worked 18 years for Lewmar - boat winches, bowthrusters and windlasses mostly hydraulically driven. Nothing but minerals used.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Mandrake wrote:
AndersDK wrote:Donno what kind of fluid LDS really are, but I'm pretty sure we'll soon learn how its composed, at least to know its base fluid type.
Indications are that LDS is a synthetic mineral compatible oil - and that seals and sphere diaphrams between LHM and LDS systems are in fact compatible with each other. No hard evidence yet though, and I forget the source of this information, so take it with a grain of salt. :wink:

Regards,
Simon
The new style C5 & C6 (grey painted) spheres are backwards compatible with LHM Xantiae - so some relationship to mineral based oils must exists.

Its quite funny what Citroen mechanics are lead to tell customers - to be sure they come back even for simple LDS level checks and top-ups :
"The new LDS fluid is very poisoning and dangerous. You must wear gloves when handling it. Dont try purchase this stuff elsewhere."
o*-.Spoken by a Citroen mechanic on a DK Citroen forum.-*o
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

AndersDK wrote:
Mandrake wrote:

Regards,
Simon
The new style C5 & C6 (grey painted) spheres are backwards compatible with LHM Xantiae - so some relationship to mineral based oils must exists.

Its quite funny what Citroen mechanics are lead to tell customers - to be sure they come back even for simple LDS level checks and top-ups :
"The new LDS fluid is very poisoning and dangerous. You must wear gloves when handling it. Dont try purchase this stuff elsewhere."
And the truth being.... (so we know!)?
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

AndersDK wrote:The new style C5 & C6 (grey painted) spheres are backwards compatible with LHM Xantiae - so some relationship to mineral based oils must exists.

If it were so dangerous, it would say so on the bottle.

No doubt a material safety data sheet will be available for LDS somewhere or other.