Tip measure for setting Xantia Height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pprado
My Cars:

Tip measure for setting Xantia Height

Post by pprado »

Guys,

Here is a simple way for adjusting Xantia's height, calculated from a Xantia that after adjustment got superb ride quality:

Just ajust rear height so distance between rear wheel rims's border and the (wheel cover? don't know the right name for the part) is:

For 14 inch, 187,65 mm
For 15 inch, 163,25 mm

Then equalize the front by aligning the car to the ground.

If you have an excellent ride and your car has a dfferent measure then please post here!
-----
Pedro Prado
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Tip measure for setting Xantia Height

Post by Mandrake »

pprado wrote:Guys,

Here is a simple way for adjusting Xantia's height, calculated from a Xantia that after adjustment got superb ride quality:

Just ajust rear height so distance between rear wheel rims's border and the (wheel cover? don't know the right name for the part) is:

For 14 inch, 187,65 mm
For 15 inch, 163,25 mm

Then equalize the front by aligning the car to the ground.

If you have an excellent ride and your car has a dfferent measure then please post here!
Hi Pedro,

I hate to be a wet blanket - but I don't see the point of this. :?: There is a reason that the height measurements are given in detail in the books - because there are a lot of model variations, not just wheel size and tyres, but also variations in the suspension chassis.

So while these figures might be good for your car they're most likely wrong for many other people. I refer you to the following scans:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... ia_height/

As you can see, many year/model variations.

Another trap to fall into when adjusting the height for "best ride" is that invariably setting the height requires lots of up and down movement of the suspension - otherwise known as citrerobics, and if you have any air bubble issues this can give a temporary improvement in the ride which may lead you to believe that the new ride height gives better ride, only for the ride to deteriorate later.

I have been down this road many times, believing that a change in ride height I had made had improved the ride, and I eventually realised I was just being fooled, set the ride height back to exactly what is specified in the book above, and left it alone... :D

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
pprado
My Cars:

Post by pprado »

Hi Simon,

It´s just an easier way of measuring, with a knowingly good ride height.
To add, these were taken on a 1995 2.0 8v Auto VSX.

Knowing these should make easier for someone who just want to CHECK if the height is near correct.

At least around here, almost every owner asks about the correct height but when told how to measure, 90% just don´t do it :-)
-----
Pedro Prado
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

man, well it confuses the hell out of me, and when comparing the rear of my car with that of someone else, the rear of mine always seems like its sitting to high, yet my ride is lovely, even with my 4 year old spheres :P

And mandrake, although i love the look of them scans, I'm still confused as to how they are measuring that, as I'm not to good with technical drawings and talk. so for the layman like me, its not very helpful.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

TehAgent wrote:man, well it confuses the hell out of me, and when comparing the rear of my car with that of someone else, the rear of mine always seems like its sitting to high, yet my ride is lovely, even with my 4 year old spheres :P

And mandrake, although i love the look of them scans, I'm still confused as to how they are measuring that, as I'm not to good with technical drawings and talk. so for the layman like me, its not very helpful.
Hi,

Yes they do look a bit technical but they're really not that difficult.

Basically you measure from the ground to the exact centre of the wheel in millimetres - that is your figure for R1. This allows for variations in wheel rims, tyres, tyre pressure and load.

Then pick your model of car from the table - this gives you a figure L1 in millimetres - this accounts for differences in different models and years.

You then add or subtract them as shown in the formula (subtract for the front height or add for the rear height) and you now have a figure in millimetres that is specific to your car.

Now you measure this figure between the ground and the place on the suspension chassis where the picture shows to measure. Make sense ?

Here is a simplified diagram which shows those values precalculated for a few tyre sizes, unfortunately it doesn't say what model they are for, but I am guessing 1.9TD and 2.0 petrol:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... height.jpg

If your figures for H1 and H2 are in the ballpark of these ones you know you have worked things out right...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
pprado
My Cars:

Post by pprado »

Yes Simon, for us that used to be more below the car than inside it, that is easy :-)

Kiddin... Truly, the official procedure is easy, and I can say that one SHOULD use it if he decides to adjust the car.

But, For a simple check, just to see if a given car is way too far from its spec... Anyway, good point telling the differences between years. Will check mine to see if it falls in a different height than my friend´s VSX Auto.

How can one tell if his front struts have hydraulic stops?
-----
Pedro Prado