Leaky Bosch Pump: Success Update

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Leaky Bosch Pump: Success Update

Post by CitroJim »

Split from this topic:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=22415

In which MikeT and Ian (TehAgent) have leaky diesel pumps.

Ian and I had a look at his pump this evening and the leak is severe and appears to be coming from either the body/lid joint or from something under the armour plate covering the stop solenoid.

It is not clear from the photo but it is cascading out from just under the armour plate and flowing down over the triangular nut you can see just below Ian's thumb. The whole lid/body seam appears to be weeping.

Ian has abandoned his car at my place as after we topped it up with diesel, the problem became much worse. I shall be looking into it further in the morning.

I need a bit of guidance please on how to remove the armour plate. Is it a case of removing the torx screws around it and pulling forward or is there more to it than that?

My thoughts is either the lid/body seal has failed or the stop solenoid or something under the armour plate has let go and is leaking. It is not the throttle spindle, emergency stop lever or anything else that is easy to see. Whatever it is, it is hiding under the plate.

Update to come very soon.
Last edited by CitroJim on 12 Aug 2007, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

This is the pump type with the coded antitheft device fitted over the stop solonoid ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

AndersDK wrote:This is the pump type with the coded antitheft device fitted over the stop solonoid ?
That is the one Anders...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No idea on how to get at the fuel solonoid ...
Will watch from the sideline.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it could be the throtle lever seal, or its the solanoid shut of which is under the anti tamper plate which also has the electronics bonded to the under side, i whatched the guy i used to share a workshop with, under this plate there is two cotton real shaped posts and there is a roll pin going into the top of the plate which was fitted whilst the pump is off the engine,as this pin goes in from the rear edge (engine side) of the plate, when my freind had located the entry point of the pin he cut a slot into the top of the plate from the back towards the front with a small air cut off grinder, when the pin was in site he could push it backwards out of the plate, the you can just undo the other fixing bolts and lift the plate (imobaliser unit) away, this unit used to cost around £170 squide but now it is of after you have fited a new shut off valve just run a switched live feed from the glow plug timer to the shut off valve
regards malcolm
TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Any news Jim or is it being a complete pain in the rear end, this no car business is really killing me here lol

Jim from what i can gather from the Haynes manual the pump is a new Bosch AS3 injection pump.
1990 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo (The Fast One)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

A year ago (or so) there was an article on a french Citroen forum including a huge series of pictures on a a recent type Bosch pump overhaul.
Cant find the article or forum anymore, but for some reason I bookmarked the guy's homepage with his source to the article :

http://bricofoy.free.fr/voiture/pompe/

and here is the Bosch parts locator webpage :
http://ecat-online.bosch.de/toc/de/mLf4 ... aVersion11
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Progress has been made!

Of sorts...

Malcolm: Excellent! May thanks indeed!

The pump is now sitting on my bench. Quite an interesting job removing it. Easy enough but tedious. A lot to strip out of the way and I had to buy a special "crowsfoot" spanner to get the third mounting nut off amd make up a puller to get the sprocket off. Enormous fun. :D

The anti-tamper plate is rivetted on as well as screwed on :twisted: That has beaten me for a moment. :cry:

A possible solution is on its way as I type. Xac is bringing over an old-type fully mechanical pump as a hopeful temporary sub whilst the proper pump is sorted.

Further updates to come...
Jim

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Excellent and very detailed photography work there. Now to translate it. :lol:
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Jim

Cant you just cut the plate off - the neat way would be to drill the rivets out, the easier way - just butcher them and the plate with an angle grinder.

The plate won't be needed as the car will have no thief appeal, and the knowledgeable will think it has the plate anyway?
jeremy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote:Excellent and very detailed photography work there. Now to translate it. :lol:
Indeed! Very excellent. Pictures speak their own language to me Mike :)
Jim

TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Jim, if the rivets are too much of a problem, drill away

Don't think it needs it any way as it still has the keypad... (no selling me keypad number to the highest bidder, unless your going to go halves on the profits)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Note his very last picture in the catalogue - he just picked up the pump from the floor, as he dropped it while turning it around for the last picture.

That must have been a french language course (curse ?) of some interests - poor guy 8)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

jeremy wrote:Jim

Cant you just cut the plate off - the neat way would be to drill the rivets out, the easier way - just butcher them and the plate with an angle grinder.

The plate won't be needed as the car will have no thief appeal, and the knowledgeable will think it has the plate anyway?
Thanks Jeremy,

I'm going to do just that :D The pump is leaking at the joint between the body and the top. I can see that clearly now the pump is on the bench so hopefully a Bosch service Kit will fully sort it. I've done this job in the past on a couple of Lucas pumps now and I guess it'll be a similar sort of job on the Bosch...

It looks all nice and dry around the stop solenoid and the electronic module is bone-dry so it's looking good...
Jim

TehAgent
My Cars:

Post by TehAgent »

Any news Jim, or is it dead :(

Really missing me motor now lol

More importantly, is it fixable?