How to change a fan on a 1.9TD without moving the radiators

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nexarius

How to change a fan on a 1.9TD without moving the radiators

Post by nexarius »

Hi Everyone,

I have just finished changing a fan on my 1997 Xantia 1.9TD (with air con) without draining the coolant and without touching or moving any of the radiators.

Here's a few tips on how to do it:

1) Remove as much of the stuff around the fan as you can. Removing the bumper is quite straightforward and makes life easier.

2) Unscrew the blades and remove them from the broken fan. Remember you need to turn the screw CLOCKWISE to UNSCREW it!

3) Find the smallest 10mm socket you can find, and use a grind wheel or similar to grind the end of the socket into a square (I will attach a photo of the one i made soon).

4) Push the socket into place in the gap between the radiator and the fan motor, and grip the squared end with a spanner so you can turn it

5) Remove the nuts (the bottom one is the trickiest), then refitting is a reveral of removal!

If it all goes to plan, it's a fairly painless procedure, and I'm sure it is quicker and safer than draining the coolant and trying to *bend* the air con radiator out of the way! I was paranoid of damaging mine!

I hope this is of some use to someone!

Matt
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I used the same procedure with my ZX and worked very well!
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
nurkov
My Cars:

Post by nurkov »

I did something silmilar on mine xantia, but I've cut the socket in half.
Citroen Xantia Break 2.0T Exclusive 1999
Citroen Xsara 1.4i West Coast 1999