Xantia Radio CD Line Input

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David W
My Cars:

Xantia Radio CD Line Input

Post by David W »

Does anyone use the input socket for connecting a CD to the 3030/4030 radio/cassette in their Xantia.
I bought a Sony CD Discman 18mths ago and it gives that extra kick to the Xantia stereo, as well as the convenience you get from CDs.
The Discman came with two connectors, the one where you slide the imitation cassette into the slot, plus a lead that goes into the CD line socket on the Citroen unit.
I would like to use the latter for neatness, and I would have guessed the best sound, but there is an odd problem. Using the input socket the CD volume is about half that of the radio or cassette functions, using the cassette adaptor it is normal.
David
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

Exactly the same with my line input. I use it all the time and the sound is much better. I just turn up the volume when I'm using the CD, not forgetting to turn it down before I take the CD jack out of the socket when I've finished listening to a CD, otherwise the radio kicks back in a full blast........
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Thanks Jethro,
At least I know it isn't a fault needing repair if yours is the same.
Personally I can't stand the radio blasting out when you change to it from CD using the line input so I keep to the adaptor.
Also I'm sure the extra available volume when using the adaptor helps if you are listening to something loud that's close to the distortion point of the radio/cassette's amplifier.
Guess I'll just keep on with the adaptor.
Thanks,
David
fatbugger
My Cars:

Post by fatbugger »

Sorry to disagree with you both but I use a Curry's special cheapo cd player linked to cd input on radio via a stereo jack lead from Maplins. This provides superb sound quality and no loss of volume at all. Have you tried adjusting the cd player volume this may affect the overall volume levels. Also if you have separate outputs for head phone and speakers make sure you are using the correct one as it makes a difference.
Hope this may help
Regards
Mike
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

I use the Line out from my CD player so the volume adjustment on it is by-passed, that way your not always fiddling both the Car's and the CD players volume to get the right level. It also saves battery power, as I don't use a in-car power adapter as the lighter socket is reserved for my mobile phone charger.
Once you've had your ears blasted the first 50 times you remember to lower the volume in the car before unplugging the CD.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Mike,
No I'm pleased that yours doesn't have the problem because it just adds to the discussion.
Mine is a Sony Car Discman so I had expected it to be tailored to car use. There is no line output, you just use the headphone socket. I have my discman volume turned almost all of the way up (wish it went to 11) whichever connector I use.
This thread has caused me to look at the instructions for my player and compare them with another model Sony CD walkman we have...interestingly my car walkman has an output 50% that of the other one. It seems this is where I (and Jethro?) may be losing volume when using the CD input jack on the car stereo..with a lower than average output.
Thanks.
David
lozian
My Cars:

Post by lozian »

Hi DJ,
I've much the same problem as you have, with the radio kicking in louder than the player on the CD line. I use an LG MP3 player into the CD line and on removal the radio is not blaring but is quite a bit louder. Looks like it must be all relative to level of signal input to CD line from external source. Works well though.
Lozian.
Why not try my website at http://www.lozian.co.uk
No Citroen stuff here, but have a look anyway. Feedback, critical or appreciative most welcome.