Clutch going?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeeDJC
My Cars:

Clutch going?

Post by LeeDJC »

Hi all,

I'm having problems getting a smooth gear change on my estate at the moment. Occasionally it's juddery, but it's always a bit of a rough change, a bit like the engine doesn't pick up properly. Once it's in gear it's fine, it doesn't slip or anything. Also sometimes when you change up a gear the engine feels very flat and doesn't pick up until the revs have picked up again. (and no I'm not changing too early! But thats a bit what it feels like)

It's self sdjusting, so how do you check the wear? Other clutches I've had have given up in an obvious way, this I'm not 100% convinced it's the clutch.

Has anyone experienced this? Is it likely to be the clutch, or is it worth checking other things first?
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Clutches can fail in many ways. The classic is simply plate wear - and if was made nicely the presser plate side linings would be slightly thinner and the rivets on that side would wear proud first - so the clutch would try and grip on the rivets rather than the lining, and when it slipped the rivets gouged the replaceable presser before the flywheel.

Now you don't have rivets - so it wears until something else becomes proud - which may be the plate itself - or even the centre boss with the compression springs in it.

However other things also happen - like the release bearing wearing through the diaphragm springs - till one breaks off and the diaphragm spring tilts as it disengages - which does nothing for smooth engagement, The release bearing itself can collapse as well.

Having said that one of the reasons is that the things last a very long time now and take considerable abuse without apparent damage.

The classic test is to put the thing in top, rev the engine and dump the clutch - if the engine stops - clutch grips - if it spins - its failing.

Remember clutch linings are like brake linings and will fade with heat - so an excessively heated clutch will spin and grip when cold. Slipping will heat it rapidly as well.
jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its not accelerating like it should it will be either the clutch slipping or the engine not producing enough power low down for some reason. This is unlikely to happen with a diesel but if yours is petrol I would suspect misfiring at low revs. You can check just by watching the rev counter, if it progresses normally while accelerating, I would suspect an engine problem.
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping at low revs. It also doesn't sound like a misfire, but just a lack of power
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like ageneral tune up is needed. How old are the ignition leads? You can meter them - 20K ohm max.

Could a (the) coil be at fault.

Are all pipes on and around the manifold in good condition.

Fuel filter?
jeremy
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

I was wondering if it really was the clutch. The car just doesn't seem 'right'.

I have no idea when the car was last serviced let alone leads/plugs/filters changed.

That seems like the sensible way forward. I'll change these and see how it goes then. I need a new air box first though! Someone has mauled the screws on the old one, making it impossible to open!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Can you drill the heads off the airbox screws then wind the stubs out with a wrench when you have separated the 2 parts?
jeremy
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

jeremy wrote:Can you drill the heads off the airbox screws then wind the stubs out with a wrench when you have separated the 2 parts?
Why are the simplest things always the last thing you think of.

Good thinking batman!