brake pedal noise!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

brake pedal noise!!!

Post by admiral51 »

i have what i can only describe as a "squelchy welly boot" sound every time the brake pedal is released on my 1.9 d 1996 xantia
it could be coincidence but the front pad sensor has now lit up albeit only when handbrake pulled full on and/or when brake pedal pressed right down
cant seem to find any sign of lhm leakage inside footwell but was not sure if it could the brake dosser on its way

i have a 1996 1.9td that has died and im going to be using this as a donor for bits and pieces so hopefully if its brake dosser i will be able to have a spare to hand :)

nearly forgot the donor car has abs and mine doesnt :oops:

colin
deian

Post by deian »

I'd say by your description of 'squelchy welly boot' noise that it's normal on our hydraulic cars, I think it's just the LHM gushing back. It will happen on all Xantia's if you push hard enough on the brake pedal.

But both my Xantia's have had it, I think it's quite cool myself.
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

thanks Dei that puts my mind at rest

first time i had pressed pedal with ear near it and gave my wallet a bit of a scare :)

and before anyone asks i was looking to see where the aerial lead was routed and rested my hand on pedal i dont make a habit of sticking my head round a pedal box ..honest :D :D

colin
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

admiral51 wrote:thanks Dei that puts my mind at rest

first time i had pressed pedal with ear near it and gave my wallet a bit of a scare :)

and before anyone asks i was looking to see where the aerial lead was routed and rested my hand on pedal i dont make a habit of sticking my head round a pedal box ..honest :D :D

colin
Each to their own...you won't be judged on here! In fact, if you've never been upside in the footwell, you've not had your Xantia long enough.
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

ive now got 2 to play around with looks like im going to get very familiar with the footwells.......strut tops.....brake discs..... :lol:

the decorating can wait :D :D

colin
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

admiral51 wrote: i was looking to see where the aerial lead was routed
From the back of the radio along the lower part of the glovebox (by the matrix and ducting pipe) and up the windscreen pillar to the aerial base.
admiral51 wrote: .....and rested my hand on pedal i dont make a habit of sticking my head round a pedal box ..honest :D :D
I've done enough of that in recent weeks. I assume that the engine was not running? Because mine makes the same noise, its perfectly fine for it to do it. Its the accumilator doing its job as it should - if the engine cuts out it has enough reserve to suspend the car and supply power to the brakes. Pump it about 20 times and the car will slowly start to sink down (due to a depleated accumilator) :roll: :lol: 8)

All the best - Craig.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A slurping noise if you press the pedal down hard and release it is perfectly normal - its just the oil rushing back to the return line through the brake valve.

Nothing to be concerned about. :D

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive