URGENT: bouncing around

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mallyg
My Cars:

URGENT: bouncing around

Post by mallyg »

Help. My 1995 M xantia 1.8i has just developed a rather scary front end bounce. Being totally unfamiliar with Cit hydraulics I have no idea what it could be. Just a month or so ago I did have the front top suspension struts replaced but I have`since driven over 500 miles since it was done. I am supposed to be taking daughter, son in law and grand kids on holiday tomorrow and need urgent help.
1995 Xantia 1.8i Dimension
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does it feel as though it has no suspension at all? If so, when you press down on the front with the thing at normal height (ie with engine running) does it feel rock solid?

If so - your front spheres have probably ruptured their diaphragms. This happens when they are elderly - and the only cure is replacement. (regassing is not possible if they have got to this state as the diaphragm is punctured)

New spheres are available from places like GSF for about £20. Make sure you get the right ones - they're not all the same (variations in size, pressure and dampers)
jeremy
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

All i know is that the back of the car rises, the front stays down and it bounces around like a kangaroo on steroids and the front end bounces when I press on it
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Front staying down sounds like the height corrector - either the link rod has come off/broken or (unlikely) the height corrector itself. Will the front come up if you try and put it into High postion (wheel change mode)?

Doesn't sound like spheres to me...

This question might sound daft - but does it have the Citroen arrows on the bonnet or the grille? It might help with investigations..
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Just thought...are you sure its the front bouncing and not the back? If you can fit a fist between the top of the rear tyre and the wheelarch then the back has gone to max height and the front may be normal. If so, it's probably the same problem with the height corrector, but it's a more common problem on the back...
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

The back goes up but the front stays down. Just had a look under the car and I can't believe what I also just found. The rear suspension tie bar is only held on by two bolts on one side :shock: too. As for the emblem the v's are on the grill
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

in the immortal words of victor meldrew "I don't believe it" now the front and back go up and down but the front still feels 'spongy' any ideas would be grateful :?
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Citaerobics are always a good start.....

Engine running, follow this sequence:

Step 1: Height lever to maximum - wait to settle (30s to 1 min)

Step 2: Height lever to minimum - wait to settle again

Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until you're bored - 3 or 4 times is normally good.

See if it makes any difference...but remember you might find the front feels soft if trying the "push" test - it's how the car feels on the road which matters. Some Xantias came almost be pushed to the floor when they just sit there with the engine running..
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

Right here's a new one on me. RAC breakdown took the car to a garage near my home on Saturday. I have rang the garage this morning who say they have had the car going up and down and topped up the LHM as they say it was low desite the level indicator saying everthing was ok. They took the car for a drive and the car is stillthe same as when they got it. They also say they cannot diagnose the problem without conecting it to a diagnostic machine which they don't have the connection or software for such an old car !
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

How many spheres has your 1.8i Dimension got? - I'd have thought it only had 5 plus an accumulator - but if it has more please say so.

If its as I've mentioned above - they will have fun connecting a computer - as there are no electronics on it.

As I mentioned above if the suspension is solid - then the suspension spehres have failed. If its very soft and bouncing then the struts must be full of gas which will be expelled if you do the Citroebics as recommended in one of the posts above.

If Citroebics cure it - then the question is where has the gas come from - and the answer is probably leaking spheres or an air leak on the input side of the pump - ie the hose between the reservoir and the pump.

The LHM level should be checked with the car on maximum height. At normal running height the float will hit the top and seem stuck. If the level were low I'd expect the warning light to come on - flashing at first as the LHM sloshes round in the tank.

As a matter of interest the Xantia has no shock absorbers as such. The strut simply supports the car and the damping is done by an assembly in the sphere neck.

Has any work been done on the hydraulics recently?
jeremy
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Unless the car runs Hydractive 2 (switch with a zigzag on it by the height control lever) - the garage hasn't got a clue. Get straight back onto the RAC and tell them to take it to a garage that knows what they are doing.

Hydractive 2 cars are the only Xantias with ANY electronics on the suspension - and I didn't think a Dimension did...?
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

would it be worth depressurising the system and then starting from scratch as if you had done a lhm change. with the bleed screw open it should clear a lot of air and then do citrobics to see if it improves :?:

colin
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Colin - depressurising it using the screw on the regulator will only depressurise the accumulator - which will deflate on its own overnight.
jeremy
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

cheers jeremy :oops: :oops:

think i shall stick to tiddlywinks for a few days :)

colin
mallyg
My Cars:

Post by mallyg »

jeremy, in answer to your question re: any hydraulic work recentlyI had the top suspension struts replaced recently (4 weeks ago) i have checked everything and can't detect or see any leaks i have done the citrobics thing but it isn't any better, there is a total of 6 spheres altogether (3 at front and 3 at the rear.)