Xantia 1.9 TD starting problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigtank78

Xantia 1.9 TD starting problems

Post by bigtank78 »

Firstly thanks to all you guys for the helpful posts. I've got a 'N' reg Xantia 1.9TD which developed some starting problems. I read some posts on this forum which talked about using the priming pump (which save me a packet as I nearly bought new plugs and a battery) and the car starts first time instead of trying for 10 minutes. I then only get a problem starting the car if it's left for at least 5-6 hours.
So it's a fuel problem but where do I go from here?
I've remember people mentioning the fuel filter and pipes. Which pipes should I be looking at, where can I get them (Andyspares?) and how much.
Other than that I love the car. Brought it for £800 and it's really economical.
Thanks In Advance Guys
Ryan
Fox
My Cars:

Post by Fox »

£800 for an N reg Xantia? Good lord thats pretty amazing.
If they are all about this sort of price I may as well replace mine for one a little newer each year and sell mine for a similar price :)
1994 Citroen Xantia SX 1.9 Turbo Diesel
148,500 miles
bigtank78

Post by bigtank78 »

A real bargain I know.
It was offered to me for £1200, 136,000 miles, well serviced, good condition with a small dent in the front wing. I was only after a buget car though and opted for an 'F' reg Metro City 1.0. Needless to say it was a pig (even though it was only £250 with 30,000 genuine miles on the clock). Two weeks after purchasing the Metro the bloke with the Xantia contacted me and said he'd got a new car and the Xantia was pissing him off sat on his driveway, we could give him £800 otherwise it was going to auction.
It's got new pads & discs all round, 2 new ABS sensors and has been well serviced so it was a real bargain. I'd never considered a Xantia before but I'm well impressed with this one.
Just gotta get the bloody thing to start without having to pop the bonnet every time.
Cheers
Ryan
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

My N Reg TD LX was £1450, but it's only done 75k....
Air leaks - the most likely culprit is the injector leak off pipes - these are the small rubber pipes that link the injectors together - give them a good bending backwards and forwards looking for any signs of cracking / splitting. Also carefully examine the cap that is the on the injector at the gearbox end.
Other favourites are apparently the feed / return pipes where the come up from under the car - difficult to spot, so if all else fails you may just need to change these!
Check also the fit of the lid on the fuel filter, and any possible leaking from the filer body - a small crack for instance.
Richard
Kered

Post by Kered »

I had this for a year, replaced the twin pipes, put new jubilee clips everywhere. It turned out to be the blanking plug on the right hand injector leak off. It was split round the back and caused the very symptoms you describe. Cost 50p to replace!
Good Luck
Derek
Doc
My Cars:

Post by Doc »

I have had the exact same symptoms but on my XM 2.1 TD SE Having spent all of today checking all unions and filter assembly I wouldn't have thought to check the leak off pipes. The leak off pipes on my engine are a hard type of rubber or should they be soft and flexible? I suspect they've been baked hard over the last 10 years!
Doc
bigtank78

Post by bigtank78 »

PROBLEM SORTED!
(I think?!)
I'd started to notice a bit of a diesel smell and decided that the problem had developed from a small leak, causing a starting problem, to a much bigger one (it left a reasonable puddle when I parked it running for 2 mins)
One look under the car with the suspension up confirmed this. The main return pipe had nearly been severed in half by the clip that was supposed to hold it in place. Citroen got me the pipe overnight and it's just waiting to be fitted. It cost £15.11+VAT although I suspect it would be considerably cheaper elsewhere.
Thanks to all you guys for the advice and help. Next problem is to sort the brakes that squeek when I turn left? (But that's a whole new post)
Ryan