Pluriel Power Steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

faffer

Pluriel Power Steering

Post by faffer »

Hi I am experiencing intermittent power steering problems on our 2004 manual 1.4 Pluriel (exclusive trim). It is random in occurence and comes and goes with no pattern. The PS will stop working and the car can still be driven albeit with major effort in turning the steering. After a short spell of parking and restarting the PS will be working again.The car went back to Citroen last year with these symptoms and the garage said they had done some reprogramming on the electric power steering. Now almost a year on it has started doing it again...Any ideas...Dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What would they re-program to remove intermittent function ?

Cant see any logic in that.
I fear its a serious defect in the power steering drive motor unit - or the activating sensor circuit. How you can persuade them to replace it I dont know, but its got to last a bit more than a 2 year warranty period at least.

Over here our ways we have a good rule that says : make up a professional written letter describing the problem in details. Then let the garage sign the letter when they claim the problem is cured. Remember the date on the letter and the date for the garage's signature.

Dont discuss or argue with the garage how to write up such a letter. Just do it, and THEN visit the garage again with this letter in your hand. Be friendly and polite, but stand on your rights !
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

when the fault ocurrs does the speedo still work ? does the car have ABS ? is there a total loss of assistance the same as when the engine is switched off or is it just a bit heavier than normal ?
faffer

Post by faffer »

Total loss of assistance is the best description. Car is at another dealer at present who have diagnosed that the fault is a component of the steering rack. Thus the whole rack assembly has to be replaced (4 figures (UK pounds)).

Just re-reading AndersDK post and the two diagnosis seem to concur. My next step is to talk direct to Citroen to see if they can help with the repair costs as the car is now just out of warranty. I'll update when I know more.
faffer

Post by faffer »

A story with a happy ending. After a couple of calls, along with the garage's request to Citroen customer services .We have had the steering rack replaced totally free of charge.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

faffer wrote:My next step is to talk direct to Citroen to see if they can help with the repair costs as the car is now just out of warranty. I'll update when I know more.
Read The Sale of Goods Act. Warranties often undermine it - six years I think, not sure it applies to cars but I don't see why not.

"In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years)."

Taken from...

http://www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sh ... 38311.html

As usual, always seek professional advice - at four figure costs, I'd throw £20 at several solicitors before I had to decide.

Please let us know the result if you do take this line of enquiry - power to the people, and all. :wink: