Diesel Emmissions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DomClarke

Diesel Emmissions

Post by DomClarke »

Hi
Got a K reg 1.9td and its putting out 3.5 on the emmissions test, any hints on how to get this down?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

1) Change engine oil and filter
2) give it an Italian tune-up (keep it on high revs ~ 3500 for an hour long trip)

That will most certainly do the trick.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Diesels get smoky with age because the injector nozzles get dirty and worn, try injector cleaner and a new air filter and as mentioned above the Italian decoke.

Failing those two, you're into serious fixes like adjusting pump timing and getting your injectors cleaned / retipped.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

In addition to the above advice you might want to take the air filter out before the re-test, but do replace it after. You are very close to a pass so it should be achievable without doing anything too major.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
DomClarke

Post by DomClarke »

Cheers
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

One "cheat" that seems to work is to adjust the throttle stop on the pump so the engine cannot be revved very hard.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Dom besides the oil change, "italian tune up" and new air filters it may be worth taking the car for long drive before the test to ensure the engine is hot.
As well as using the injector cleaner in the fuel tank, it might be worth trying this: fill up the filter housing half full with neat injector cleaner and crank the engine over a few times. Leave for a 5-10 mins then start it and take it for italian tune up.

If after all of those its still goosed you are left with blanking the EGR off or more serious works like someone has said injectors changing or Adjusting the timing.

Hope you get it sorted.
406 lx 1.9td estate
thorter
My Cars:

Post by thorter »

As it is a turbo diesel, a quick temporary way to reduce the maximum fueling is to disconnect the pipe from the intercooler to the injection pump (you would need to disguise this!).

However, the Italian method almost always works. The Smoke Test is little more than a measure of the accumulated soot since the car was last on sustained full throttle. Just floor the pedal for several bursts in first and second until there is no more soot left in the silencer.
den
My Cars:

Post by den »

Hi
I put a full bottle of Miller's Diesel Plus into the tank and run it for a few days before the mot. I've done this for a few years now and it's passed ok every time. Just had mine done about a month ago and it passed with a figure of 0.5. Worth a try for 8 quid a bottle.

Den
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Italian decoke is cheaper and more satisfying.. :lol: and a fresh air filter will never hurt a diesel
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Remember guys : air filters dont influence the "richness" of air/fuel mixture on diesels.
They only restrict more or less air admission to the engine, which in turn restricts max fuel volume from the diesel pump, which in turn restricts max power from the engine :wink:

Because there is no such thing as an air/fuel mix on a diesel engine :P
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Run it on Tesco Rapeseed oil for a while, take advantage of the warmer (although wet) weather we've been having.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
LeeDJC
My Cars:

Post by LeeDJC »

Oil will def work. Just check your diesel pump. Last year my old 1.9D showed 1.5 on the emissions test while using dino-diesel, but this year on about 90% SVO it registered 0.3!
2004 Berlingo Multispace HDI, 105000
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

If I remember rightly Dom has the lucas pump fitted to his car otherwise I would have sugguested a few bottles of veg.

Hopefully he'll get back to us all and tell us how he got on and which methods he used.
406 lx 1.9td estate
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Ah right! youve answered my next question - does it have a Bosch pump- for those that do, its very simple to adjust the fueling with the screw located just above the injector pipe couplings. You screw it anti clockwise to reduce the fuel, but only by a tiny ammount.