Moving a Xantia with failed strut top

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fred1

Moving a Xantia with failed strut top

Post by fred1 »

Hi,

My sons xantia has one failed strut top and the second looks about to.

It is not in an ideal location to replace them, ideally I would like to move it a couple of miles.

Anyone any experience or advice on the best way to do this without threat to safety or risking extending the damage.

I had thought of fixing a square of 18mm plywood above each of the strut tops, bolted to the scuttle and wing edges and with a locating hole for the strut top nut to locate it, so as to hold down and hold in position the strut top.

Thanks in advance.

fred1
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Not too much help to you, but if the bonnet is not damaged yet, remove it first. Should be easy - couple of clips for the struts and four bolts or so to remove the bonnet from the hinges.
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

just try driving it gently, i drove one to my workshop once no probs at all
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That 18mm square plywood would not take the weight - that is riscy indeed :shock:
I'm using a 100mm by 75mm as jack support lifting under the subframe on my BX'es. The timber is precisely that long, it will reach out under the front arms both ends, not to crush the subframe.

You will need a 100 by 100 timber, length suited to reach over both strut tops across the engine bay. Must be at least 100mm past the strut tops reaching out over the wing both sides, to cover for the weakness introduced by the holes drilled (or counter sunk) over the strut tops.

If its only a few miles you need to move the Xantia, then its perfectly alright to use lengths of (fresh !) heavy rope (10mm nylon at least) locating the timber - instead of fiddling with bolts, provided you drill the locating holes for the strut tops. Gives you a lot more freedom to find attachment points for the timber.
NOTE : pad the rope if it goes over sharp edges :shock:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

If it was me what I would have probably done is to get a tow with the front wheels off the ground - if you got the towtruck to hook on underneath and lift the front off the ground, the height corrector would depressurize the front suspension, you could then let the engine idle to keep the rear suspension pressurized, and tow the car without damage to the rear...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
fred1

Post by fred1 »

Many thanks guys, particularly Anders, I will follow your (as always) sound advice.

Regards

fred1