Dreaded clutch clip (sobs)........ *UPDATE*

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sturdybloke

Dreaded clutch clip (sobs)........ *UPDATE*

Post by Sturdybloke »

I have decided that project Xantia needs to pick up the pace a bit and get back OTR, so I decided to get cracking with fixing the broken clutch cable clip :-({|= [-o< 8-[

Got down to buisness by removing everything that needed removing (bar the clutch pedal) but after removing the nut off the pivot bolt and sliding it out as far as it will go it just wont come out. I know that some of you cut the head off the bolt, but I was talking to andmcit and he mentioned that he twisted the pedal enough to allow the bolt to slip out (that man must have arms of iron!)

There has to be a way of getting the bolt out without having to gut the head off (a BX 1.7 TZD is looking very tempting atm)???
Last edited by Sturdybloke on 22 Jul 2007, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

have a look at this guide by RichardW

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=21201
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Thanks for the link jim. I read Richards guide before I started. Where he mentioned (in step 4) levering the pedal box I guess he means using a crowbar and opening up the pedal box, ie bending the side open slighlty?
slim123

Post by slim123 »

No You dont need to bend anything, You do need to lie on your back with your feet out of the door, but first get sone long nose pliers, spanners and anything else that you think that you may need, to save having to come out agian.

Stick a maglight in you mouth to leave both hands free and in you go.

Pull the electrical connector block off the top of the pedal, to give that extra few mm (every mm is a big help) then lift the pedal as hard as you can, as if you are trying to push it out of the dash, the bolt will come out but only if the flat of the bolt is lined up with the pedal bracket.

Once the bolt is on the move and the threaded end has gone through the other side of the bracket, you can tip the pedal slightly sideways and pull the bolt out.

Once you have finished kicking it around and swearing about French disigners like Basil Fawlty on a bad day, dont forget, put it back the other way round.

Regards
Slim
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Right, ive gone through every possible way to get this bolt out and its not going to happen. Now I am going to open up ther pedal box as ive had enough faffing about - When all else fails sheer ignorange and brute force shines through.

Not in the best of moods atm :evil: :evil: :evil:

Update: \:D/ :P \:D/ Bolt just came out about 10 mins ago. Had my trusty assistant (my dad) to pull the brake pedal sideways towards the drivers door (with a bit of rope) whilst I pushed the pedal up through the dash and managed to wiggle the bolt out.

Only problem I have is that two components fell out with the pedal and I have no idea where they go. One is a black cylinder type thing about 2" long and the other is some sort of short stubby white washer type thing. I think the two link together somehow. Any ideas people?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you must have lost a bit down behind the carpet/underfelt!!!!!!!!!, as there should be three parts other than the pedel, you should have a metal pivot bush aprox 2" long, a white plastic bush and a spring, not including the nut and bolt
regards malcolm
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I imagine the "black cylinder thing" contains the brake pedal spring which fits on the back of the pedal itself. Does it have a split collar halfway along and can it be compressed in your palm?
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Sturdybloke wrote:One is a black cylinder type thing about 2" long ?
You can throw the black thing away without any problems,it doesent seem to have any useful function,dont know what the white washer is though :idea:
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Rightho.

The black cylinder is the inner sleeve on the pivot of the pedal itself,
it's through this the bolt actually bears through and this is required to
prevent any slack in the setup. The white polo mint piece is the collar
that the spring (RIGHTLY COMMENTED AS THE REMAINING PIECE OF
THE PUZZLE) acts where it tensions wrapping around the main pedal to
give some spring in it's travel. This sits on the pedal towards the centre
line of the car.

Dont go chucking anything away yet Craig!!

Andrew
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

citronut wrote:you must have lost a bit down behind the carpet/underfelt!!!!!!!!!, as there should be three parts other than the pedel, you should have a metal pivot bush aprox 2" long, a white plastic bush and a spring, not including the nut and bolt
regards malcolm
Ive still got hold of the metal collar, pedal spring and the "thick washer" and the curious black cylinder.
Dickie G wrote:I imagine the "black cylinder thing" contains the brake pedal spring which fits on the back of the pedal itself. Does it have a split collar halfway along and can it be compressed in your palm
Took that off well before I started on the clutch pedal. I converted mine to the solid state with a length of piping so it has no compression anymore. Its become "proper" Citroen braking now.

andmcit wrote:Dont go chucking anything away yet Craig!!
Dont worry, I dont intend to!

Here are some photos of the parts that I cant figure out :-

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've got one of those black things spare after I let my Dad change the clip on my '94 (second time)....
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Sturdybloke, if you have not already, take the drivers seat out! It makes life much easier to work on you back, unless you are a flyweight contortionist. :shock:

Another tool worth getting is a headband mounted lamp, bit like a miners lamp but smaller. A real godsend for looking in awkward places whilst needing to use both hands. :D

The real trick when fitting the cable to the clip is to do it before you refit the pedal back into its pivot, the extra space in the pedal box is a real boon. :x

You will swear and curse but keep your cool as it is quite a logical process, just awkward. Once you've done one, the rest are easy! 8)

Handyman
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

The black piece is for where the cable comes up through the bulkhead into the car.

Brian

97 Xantia TD
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

thats the black thing i was thinkong about.
honestly you dont need it,iv done lots of these clips & never refitted one. Kowalski hasnt had any problems with his beeing left off ??
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

Job Done \:D/

Thanks to all for the pointers on one :evil: hell :evil: of a job......I left the black conical like cylinder out as kowalski and wheeler did - If they dont need it then neither do I.

Just leaves the front strut tops, O/S outer rear light lense, tyres to fit (bought already) a new throttle cable and just tidy up/spray the filler on the tailgate and then its off for it's MOT within the next month 8)