Tuning the V6

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

Post by deian »

Whoa, thats quite cool the amount of power they squeezed out of it.

I think more power could be squeezed out from a tuned ecu. Most cars are undertuned... i.e there is two ways to go.... 1. for performance (more fuel, less engine life), and 2. longevity and economy - most engines are tuned in between.

It would be interesting to tune the V6 to silly powers and scare some boyracers in their evo's. I wonder how strong the top and the bottom is.

Thanks
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

deian wrote:Whoa, thats quite cool the amount of power they squeezed out of it.

I think more power could be squeezed out from a tuned ecu. Most cars are undertuned... i.e there is two ways to go.... 1. for performance (more fuel, less engine life), and 2. longevity and economy - most engines are tuned in between.

It would be interesting to tune the V6 to silly powers and scare some boyracers in their evo's. I wonder how strong the top and the bottom is.

Thanks
Cars are tuned so that the emissions are nice and the engine lasts a long time. If you're not so bothered about either, you can get a bit more power out of an engine, mostly by advancing your ignition and not retarding it so quickly when the engine starts to knock. Messing with the fuel mix doesn't go a whole lot, since maximum power is with a stoichiometric mix, a mix that doesn't contain excess fuel or excess air.

That 500bhp V6 won't be either very drivable or very durable. It'll have a large turbo that'll need lots of revs to get it to spool and the nitrous kit will do what most nitrous kits do, i.e. shorten the engine life...

If you want worry people in EVOs and Imprezas you need something that looks more pathetic than a Peugeot or Citroen, to really worry then you'll need a 500bhp 4x4 Proton or Kia.... or perhaps a Lada!
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

THeres a v6 xantia on u tube beating a bmw m5 in a drag race.
It comes straight up if you type in "xantia m5".
Not sure what its got but always assumed large turbos.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

elma wrote:THeres a v6 xantia on u tube beating a bmw m5 in a drag race.
It comes straight up if you type in "xantia m5".
Not sure what its got but always assumed large turbos.
That search didn't work for me. I found this instead

Citroen Xantia V6 outdrags BMW 745i

Though it looks like the BM wasn't trying at first
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Guess my memory changed it to an m5 so it was more impressive. :)

The xantia won by much further as I remembered it as well. :oops:
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

It all comes down to how much money you have to spend and how long the lump will last with the extra stress. If I was going to tune it I would just put a freeflow filter, performance exhaust and manifold and have a superchip put into the ECU. Increase the torque instead of outright power to make the engine more flexible.
jeremy wrote:
fatally flawed in that it had a 90 degree V angle - which is appropriate for a V8 but not a V6 (as Ford also found out - Essex - British was a 90, German ones were 60's)
The british ones were at a 60 degree angle and the Canadian one was the 90 degree. The German engine you mention was a Cologne lump that was in the later Capri's and Sierra's
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thanks for that Sturdy - my apologies to Henry. Do you know if the V4 was 60 degrees?
jeremy
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

jeremy wrote:Thanks for that Sturdy - my apologies to Henry. Do you know if the V4 was 60 degrees?
I dont think it would bother him to much :lol:

Yes, the Taunus V4 (that the cologne is based on) is a 60 degree lump. It's one lumpy/unrefined engine though - Thank god the Pinto replaced it
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

All the UK (Essex) V6's were also 60 degrees...but the V4 versions got a mother of a balance shaft - as did the V4 Cologne engine. DIn't help much..but at least the Essex got one exhaust prot per cylinder unlike the Cologne engines! Yes, I know they finally remedied it with 2.4/2.9...

To my knowledge, there were only a couple of 90 degree V6's ever made; one being the early "PRV" V6 (Peugeot/Renault/Volvo) and some american one (Buick rings a bell..). Oh - and also the Metro 6R4/XJ220 enigne!
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

philhoward wrote: To my knowledge, there were only a couple of 90 degree V6's ever made; one being the early "PRV" V6 (Peugeot/Renault/Volvo) and some american one (Buick rings a bell..). Oh - and also the Metro 6R4/XJ220 enigne!
The Metro/XJ220 engines, although dimensionally similiar, are not really the same, every component was re-engineered re-tooled for production in the XJ220, and nothing is interchangable (I have seen both engines dismantled side by side).

in the 1970s. Jaguar tried very hard to make a 60 degree V8, based on a cut down V12, but after years of development gave up because they could not get it to sound right.
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Re: Tuning the V6

Post by Harlequin »

Sorry to bump a very old thread BUT - what are the differences between the 194>207>211 bhp versions of the Cit V6 in the xant/ C5 , and what extra did Renault do to the Clio version?
Simon
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Clio was: VVT engine, twin larger throttle bodies, new inlet manifolds and chambers, (mk1's had standard exhaust manifolds) new manifolds, exhaust with twin "light" cats and reworked "big valves" head. I think it has different ratios in its gearbox as well.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

What about the C5 V6 reworks? 194 bhp> 207 bhp then 211 bhp? How were they different?
Simon