HDi smoking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rdj104

HDi smoking

Post by rdj104 »

My xantia's been smoking for quite a while. Rev it hard(ish) and a nice cloud of black smoke comes out the back. It's a 110bhp 2.0 HDi. Uses a bit more oil than it used to, fuel economy is down too. Air pipe going from turbo to intercooler has some drops of oil in it. I've changed the airflow meter and that's no different.

I'm suspecting the turbo needs replacing, anuybody got an alternative suggestion to try, or how to work it out?

If it is the turbo, how easy is it to replace it? DIY or give it to a garage to do?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Diesel gives black smoke, oil smoke has a blue tinge but looks mostly white. Is fluid leaking out anywhere? [Place a newspaper under the car at night.] I've read turbos should outlast the engine so it's unlikely your turbo has failed. Perhaps a leak-down test is in order?

Is you intake clear, from air filter to turbo to intercooler to manifold?

That's about all I can think of/know I'm afraid, others will be along to give more detailed help I'm sure.
rdj104

Post by rdj104 »

The engine has done 250k miles, so most components could be considered towards the end of their anticpated lifespan!

OK, so it could be that the oil loss is purely down to the leak, wherever it is, it drips off the bottom of the turbo oil pipe, but could be coming from anywhere, need to do a proper clean up so I can inspect.

So, if we assume it's too much diesel in the system somewhere, maybe it'll be as simple as the new air mass meter I've put in. Perhaps the ECU needs to get used to it then by magic it will suddenly adapt and return to normal?
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

rdj104 wrote:The engine has done 250k miles, so most components could be considered towards the end of their anticpated lifespan!
Maybe but less likely the turbo (from what I've read) and even the engines if well maintained.
rdj104 wrote:OK, so it could be that the oil loss is purely down to the leak, wherever it is, it drips off the bottom of the turbo oil pipe, but could be coming from anywhere, need to do a proper clean up so I can inspect.

I've seen wet oily patches under my turbo but I've read the seals can weep when cold so it may not be part of the smoke and power issue. (I'm not saying I have the answers you need, just adding my thoughts).
rdj104 wrote:So, if we assume it's too much diesel in the system somewhere, maybe it'll be as simple as the new air mass meter I've put in. Perhaps the ECU needs to get used to it then by magic it will suddenly adapt and return to normal?
Aha, :idea: you just reminded me, Xac said you can clear the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a long period - maybe you should do this if you've changed a sensor. Remember you could lose your radio code, clock time, radio presets etc etc etc when disconnecting power. Some say the alarm goes off on reconnection of power but I learnt that to lock and unlock the doors by remote control overrides that little tendency.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

This just ain't so! Main units that are correctly serviced will often go double or more.
The engine has done 250k miles, so most components could be considered towards the end of their anticpated lifespan!
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

lolingram wrote:This just ain't so! Main units that are correctly serviced will often go double or more.
Servicing involves having the injectors cleaned or re-tipped, I'd bet that the injector tips would be long past their best.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Agreed, but I did say...Main units that are correctly serviced

Code: Select all

Servicing involves having the injectors cleaned or re-tipped, I'd bet that the injector tips would be long past their best.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj