Climate control sensor and fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

AndersDK wrote:Honestly Mike - we are way off topic now :roll:
Yes, but interestingly so Anders :wink:

Mike, to test a transistor using an old-fashioned analogue multimeter (What I call an AVO as it is the generic name for them in the trade) do the folowing:

Note that this will not work with a cheap new-fangled digital thing :twisted: It must be an old type with a 1.5V battery in it to powr the resistance measuring circuitry inside. A modern one won't work and those with transistor test functions are not to be trusted either :twisted:

Put the meter on an ohms range that will read up to about 50K. Place the negative lead on the base and the positive lead on the emitter and collector in turn and you should read a medium resistance, neither short circuit or open circuit. What you are doing is forward biassing the junction to its on state using a little voltage from the meter battery. Reverse the probes, positive to base and emitter and collector in turn and it should read open circuit. Place the probes each way emitter-collector and it should read open circuit both ways. This is for an NPN transistor, reverse the whole sense for a PNP transistor.

Many times you can test in circuit but it could be misleading. best to lift at least the base.

So, to sum up, you should see resistance one way between base and emitter and collector but not the other and there should be and open circuit emitter-collector both ways and no shorts anywhere.

To test an electrolytic with an AVO, short it first to discharge it and them apply the meter probes reverse polarity. The meter needle should "Kick" and then rapidly fall back to very near zero. Reverse the polarity and it should do similar but not quite so much and with a bit more leakage. The amount of "kick" depends on the valve of the capacitor, the bigger the value, the bigger the kick! If it does not kick or is short-circuit it is duff.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

AndersDK wrote:first 2 characters would be type no, next 2 would be the maker. Does that make sense ?
Yep, guess so. I found no reference for the maker codes.
Honestly Mike - we are way off topic now :roll:
Thread topic? Really? Shall I start another then? :lol:

The coils measured appx 136R each, so I guess they're ok? The magnet is still magnetised so the motor is probably fine.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The top pin is the collector, and the base at bottom left, as viewed from the top.
Not touched one of them for several years; it’s become impossible to feed off that sort of work. :evil:

http://hep.fi.infn.it/PAMELA/pdf/bc847.pdf

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

citrojim wrote:Mike, to test a transistor using an old-fashioned analogue multimeter (What I call an AVO as it is the generic name for them in the trade) do the folowing:
I gave away my last AVO - only digimeters here now :(

Many times you can test in circuit but it could be misleading. best to lift at least the base.
I'm not inclined to attempt lifting them, there's too many and they're glued on - a job too far, methinks.
To test an electrolytic....
My caps seem fine (although not proven). No, I've given up the idea of repairing mine, now looking for a small enough motor to fit inside the housing. I found some low-voltage ones at a model shop that may fit but they are just 1.5V.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Clogzz wrote:The top pin is the collector, and the base at bottom left, as viewed from the top.
Thanks Clogzz but I've thrown in the towel on testing this. Now looking for a new small motor.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Standard PC fans are 80x80mm
Small HD, CPU and video card blowers are 30x30mm (or 25x25 ??) - at least less than half the size the bigger ones.
The small ones comes in both 12V & 5V variants, and various power ratings.
You will need just about the smallest and weakest 12V type you can find - because of the noise.
Its a straght fit job - no use of the old electronics, just fits directly into the existing wiring.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I've got a few pc fans here but at that size, I'm not sure it will fit well behind the facia, out of sight.

I've seen some motors just 22mm in diameter but they're very low voltage. I'm hoping to find a 20mm 12V then I'll be laughing as it will be a direct replacement - maybe have to drill out the old rotor/fan to fit on the shaft. It would then make a perfectly neat & easy job that anyone could follow as a fix.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike,

Pop the remains of the old fan in the post to me :)

I'm really quite keen to have a look at it. No promises that I can fix it but for interests sake I'd love to have a closer look at it :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Hi Jim,

No problem. I'll take a few more pictures first then you can have it. I hope to be keeping the housing and the rotor/fan blades & obviously I'll need the thermistor too but you're welcome to do what you want with the rest.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Mike :D
Jim