Rev counter can't count!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Rev counter can't count!

Post by James.UK »

The rev counter on my ZX Aura is very lazy, either it doesn't work at all, or it only registers low revs? It works sometimes if I give the dash above it a slap with my hand, but not always.. :roll:

Question is.. Is there an easy fix? Or will I be better off swopping it with the rev counter out of my old ZX Avantage? (I kept it "just in case" ) :)

I can't swop the entire guage cluster as they are not identical.. But the rev counters are. :)

Thanks.. James..
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
deian

Post by deian »

I wouldn't think it's the rev counter fault, probably the feed to the rev counter. I can't say what gives the input to the rev counter, probably a sensor on the flywheel somewhere.

As for swapping the rev counter only over from an old dash, it would be fiddly work, is it worth the hassle? Why not just pop to a scrap yard and buy one from there.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

A friend had a petrol Xantia with an intermittent rev counter. He told me it was an easy fix - loose connection behind the dash.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The sensor is on the back of the engine, on the flywheel flange above the RH drive shaft / speedo pick up. Normally the sensor just gives up though - often when it is warm first off. The fact that it works if you give the binnacle a bash suggests that it is a problem with either the connection or the clock itself. I think I'd try taking the binnacle out first and making sure all the plugs are tight,and checking any earths in that location.
Richard W
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Thanks for the info.. It worked again today? lol.. But I cant relie on it.. I will strip it out and check it over, if it looks dodgy then I can replace it with the one I took out of my old Avantage..

Thanks again. :)
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Managed to remove the instrument cluster by undoing all its screws, lowering the steering wheel to max low position taking the top cover off the steering wheel consul, then the pulling the cover forward, unplugging all the side switches.. Finally tilted the whole thing upward and undid the speedo cable :) .. it was then possible to rest it on the dash top upside down and facing foreward.

Took the cover off the rev counter, and tightened up all-any screws and connections in sight, started it up, and it worked.. Put it all back together again and it seems fine now :D

Thanks for all the help. :)

( it took about an hour and a half max :) .. )