Xantia Top engine mount mystery

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jolly Jack
My Cars:

Xantia Top engine mount mystery

Post by Jolly Jack »

Hi guys
I am a bit mystified with the top engine mounting on my HDi xantia. I am getting a cluck when taking up the power and when starting. I bought a lower engine mount N10126 as it seemed the most likely cause, but tonight I had a closer look at the top mountings and it seems a bit soft as I can push the engine backwards by hand a little bit. Its also got what look like ajusters sticking out., what do these do?. Is it an easy job to change this mounting and is it expensive?

Is this a sign that the car needs to go

John
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I get exactly the same light clunk on my 1999 1.9TD. Happens most times starting or stopping the engine and when just pulling away of reversing... right at the point the clutch loads the engine.

I've had no time to look other than checking nothing is about to fall off. I thought engine mounts but they are fine... they should have a fair bit of play anyway.

I will look at it in a couple of weeks but did wonder about the exhaust-manifold joint??

David
2009 C5 HDi VTR+Nav Tourer
2006 C3 HDi Desire
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It's been posted on here before that the HDi and the CT Turbo engines have an extra top mount which can cause knocking/rattling noises.
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I had to replace the top engine mount on my HDi. It was easy to fit and cost me about £30.

I'll have a look later on and try and describe which one it was. With mine it was clunking when the engine stopped.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There's no chance that this noise is in fact brake pad knock is there? This would be most pronounced when changing direction - ie forward to reverse - and can be quite disturbing as the pads move from thrust to reverse side of the caliper with a pronounced 'bang' which can be felt throughout the car.
jeremy
Jolly Jack
My Cars:

Post by Jolly Jack »

thanks for the replies, I changed the bottom mount the other day as I had already bought that. That was a pig of a job to do on the car, enen though I polished up all the surfaces lubricated them and had the bush in the freezer overnight, brute force and a big ahmmer won in the end. This appeard to reduce the knocking when starting but it returned after a short period. So its the top mount to be done now.

There must be a mount on the gearbox end of the engine but I cant see it anyone know where it is?

I dont think its brake pad clunk but I will certainly listen and check it for it

John
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes there is a gearbox top mount. On a BX and ZX there is an arm coming from the inner wing with the battery above and the engine hanging from it. I appreciate the Xantia has the battery further forward but I think the same mount is used - so there must be an arm somewhere in the middle of the left hand side (facing the engine.)

I found that I had to use a mirror to see it!.
jeremy
Jolly Jack
My Cars:

Post by Jolly Jack »

I have just been on to Citroen and they want £95 for the three bushes. Which one did you replace Richard? I suppose I will have to strip it down to find out which one is gone, but it seems as if they are all a bit soft so I may have to change all 3 if one hasnt actully split or similar.
John
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

It was bolted to the inner wing just behind the timing cover. Three bolts if I remember rightly. It's connected to a link that has an odd appendage.

It involved a lot of studying of fiches at the Citroen dealer to get the right bit.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.