sphere removal tool

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

sphere removal tool

Post by admiral51 »

hi all
have been looking through post to try and find a cheapish tool for changing my spheres and keep looking at this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CITROEN-BX-CX-XAN ... dZViewItem
anyone got any idea if it will do the job or should i try something a bit more chunky
colin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

That tool does in fact look good & chunky for the purpose. Not exactly expensive for a ready made tool either.
The protruding bolt must however be torqued seriously for the tool to hold the sphere.
Also it looks like fairly easy to slip over a piece of water piping as a torque extender bar.

Have a look in our archive & hints sections for DIY tools :
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... m.php?f=11

Note : you just need the tool to break the first 1/8-1/4 of a turn on the sphere, then it is in fact dangling loose on its thread.
New spheres MUST be hand tightened ONLY - like an oil filter.
Last edited by AndersDK on 09 Jul 2007, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
tricky ricky
My Cars:

Post by tricky ricky »

Buy the tool from Pleaides. Costs around 30 squid. Well worth every penny. I have never came across a sphere it cannot undo. http://www.citroen-hydraulics.com/

As Anders says, the bolt will need to be really tight!
1987 BX16RE

1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

thanks for your input gents but i think looking at cost i will probably go for the Pleaides tool in for a penny in for a pound i guess :) :)

just a quick question i know its best to crack the rear spheres on high setting is it the same for the fronts??

cheers colin
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The short answer is NO

The rear struts ae not bolted in but held in place by the weight of the car against a partially extended strut pushing against the chassis - so when you twist the sphere the strut may (and probably will)l twist. Max height makes it push hard against the subframe which holds it and preserves the pipe bolted into the side.

The fronts are rigidly mounted - so no problem.
jeremy
tricky ricky
My Cars:

Post by tricky ricky »

The tool will be a good long term investment if you plan to run hydraulic Cits for a while.

The job becomes so easy with the correct tool, but almost impossible with the wrong tool such as a chain wrench. Been there!

Good luck, I'm sure you will manage fine!
1987 BX16RE

1999 Xantia HDi Exclusive
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

hi
purchased said tool from ebay cost £19

didnt have to tighten bolt to much and even able to tap handle with hammer :lol: :lol: and the vibration helped to break the tension even on the back spheres

well worth the modest outlay esp as i now have to do it all over again

front spheres all round :oops: :oops:

colin