Rear windows

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiaholic

Rear windows

Post by xantiaholic »

Hi does anybody know about the rear windows electrics, the rear windows switches both on centre console, and on the doors do not light up nor work, have checked the fuse this is ok, I take the relay powers both front and back? the switch on the dash board may be the next part that may not be working the way it should, it does light up but thats about it. any body have any leads, xantia 2.0 ltr hdi 1999 on a T reg. Regards Mark
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

On my Xantia when I bought it, either one or both rear windows didnt operate.

From memory, all that needed doing was the plastic switch/button just needed a quick clean and all was well again.
Golf 55' 1.9TD
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There is a separate power relay and fuse for front and rear EW's.

Possibly exactly the rear circuit relay has partly left its socket leaving the circuit dead. Just need a thumb to press in.
Or the relay has given up the ghost. Its a standard single make contact relay type at some £3-
If you lift up to test the relays from their sockets, you will immediately recognise by the pinning any other relays of the same type. These are legitimate to swap for testing purpose. But keep track of where the relays belongs (usually by casing color). They have slightly different specs in current ratings, pin outs and functions.
Citroen (e.g. PSA) do their own relay case coloring codes for the relay types. You dont strictly need a relay "the same color", if you know the relay type.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
xantiaholic

Post by xantiaholic »

No joy, I have changed around the relays but still no power to either back windows, the switches do not light up on centre console or on doors, the only switch the one on the dash board will light up and make the relay click, but makes no differance on the window operation. Anybody have any other ideas. regards Mark :cry:
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

Have you tried cleaning the switch?
Golf 55' 1.9TD
xantiaholic

Post by xantiaholic »

Hi, which ones doors or console, dash board?, the dash board one looks very clean, are the others easy to remove? can you explain how to remove them, thanks for the help, mark
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

Im afraid I can only give info on the Mk1's so to speak, where the rear windows switch was placed behind the handbrake area.

For my rear ones (at the handbrake) I simply took them out (flat electrical screwdriver) and picked out any grime/crud and sprayed with some wd40.

Replaced the switch and nearly two years on its still fine.
Golf 55' 1.9TD
xantiaholic

Post by xantiaholic »

Cleaned switches, no differance :cry:, they were clean, the tiny led don't light up so I know there is no power going to them, the fuse is ok no blowing so dont think its a short. May be break in the loom some were :roll:
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

What about a new/replacement switch, possibly from a scrappers.

When I got my Xantia that 'temperature thingy' didnt work and didnt light up, but as soon as I got a replacement from the scrappers everything was fine.

Or is this a more complicated case that this.
Golf 55' 1.9TD
xantiaholic

Post by xantiaholic »

I will have another go tomorrow, many thanks for your input, I will get them working, thats a promise :lol: