Garrett Or KKK on 1994 1.9TD ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenbx

Garrett Or KKK on 1994 1.9TD ZX

Post by citroenbx »

Hello all,
Does anyone know which Turbo was fitted to a 1994 1.9td ZX.
I have been told that the Garrert Turbo is a better unit than KKK ?

I believe my car has a KKK ?

Does anyone have any experience of swapping or comparing the two ?

Which French Vehicle use's a Garrett that would be interchangeable ?
Thanks
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

In what way is it supposed to be better? If they are both set to the same pressure the performance should be the same, unless one starts boosting earlier.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Every boyracer with his blue-lights and dual square chrome exos equipped street perfomer will know that Garrett is far superior to KKK [-X

Despite ANY facts :-({|=
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

You need to look to find which type, they are interchangeable as long as you use the appropriate oil feed pipe though they are a right bugger to swap in situ, forget Haynes idea of removing the turbo from the manifold, manifold and turbo come off together, actually even a pita to separate on the bench! Other donors include 405, 309, Xantia, Rover 218 though there are slight dimensional differences so another ZX or 306 is your best bet
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

http://www.itsturbos.co.uk/catalogue%20 ... troen.html

Might be of some help.

It lists both garratt and KKK being fitted.

I think the whole garrett better then KKK arises from the spin up time and total boost avaliable from each type of turbo being slightly diffenet. From memory KKK spins ups quicker but has lower boost? ALso i think it might be easier to modify the garettes to produce more then the standard boost.

But there not that much diffence at the end of the day in driving.

Not all garretts /kkk from the 1.9s are interchangable. I think there are 20 possible different turbo combos avalible. Some can be swapped over quite easily others will require some mods to the mounts and oil pipes.

Im still trying to change my turbo as it blew up (stupid mechanics dropping a nut) and it took me ages to find a replacement. I was going to get any old 1.9 turbo but it turned out only one would be a straight swap and fit the rest would require remounting and fiddly bits. 6 months on and ive still not been able to finish it. I hate not having a garage or drive way and working on the street.
406 lx 1.9td estate
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

caveman_si wrote:http://www.itsturbos.co.uk/catalogue%20 ... troen.html

Might be of some help.

It lists both garratt and KKK being fitted.
Any idea how I'm supposed to know which engine I have? Haynes BOL says to look for a plastic label on the front of the engine block :?
caveman_si wrote: I think the whole garrett better then KKK arises from the spin up time and total boost avaliable from each type of turbo being slightly diffenet. From memory KKK spins ups quicker but has lower boost? ALso i think it might be easier to modify the garettes to produce more then the standard boost.
Aha! I was wondering which type of turbo I would have - small or large I think they call them. As you say, it's a trade-off between lag and total boost. I've been reading about how N2O can totally eliminate the lag so it would be may be worth fitting if I have the right turbo.
caveman_si wrote:Im still trying to change my turbo as it blew up (stupid mechanics dropping a nut) and it took me ages to find a replacement. I was going to get any old 1.9 turbo but it turned out only one would be a straight swap and fit the rest would require remounting and fiddly bits. 6 months on and ive still not been able to finish it. I hate not having a garage or drive way and working on the street.
:? I don't suppose the mechanic offered any free assistance for their neglect?

I can sympathise with you on the working in the street thing. I often frequent large public car parks to do mine. I get some odd looks and even the police sat and watched me from a distance but I haven't been harassed yet 8)
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

caveman_si wrote:I think the whole garrett better then KKK arises from the spin up time and total boost avaliable from each type of turbo being slightly diffenet. From memory KKK spins ups quicker but has lower boost? ALso i think it might be easier to modify the garettes to produce more then the standard boost.
I would hazard a guess that the boost produced is the same on both (at stock settings) since the rated engine outputs are the same.

From what I recall reading on here, the Garrett is easier to 'tune'.

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

The Garrett has a rubber pipe between the turbo and the waste gate actuator into which you can introduce a (boost controller) restriction into thus delaying the wastegate opening and increasing maximum boost, mines in a long pipe routed up to where it can be easily got to in order to adjust boost, the KKK has a built in actuator, in order to tune it you need to get under the car and adjust the length of the operating arm, much more hassle, in order to obtain more power you need to adjust fuelling too, but the results can be very pleasing :wink:
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.